P0174 FORD - Fuel Injection System Too lean Bank 2http://engine-codes.com/p0174_ford.htmlForum Code
Possible causes- Intake air leaks
- Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
- Ignition misfiring
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Lack of fuel
- Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
- Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection
Tech notes The codes is usually set when there is an intake leak after the air flow meter, before replacing any parts check for loose or broken hoses and intake gasket leak. On Ford some models dirty air filter, and dirty or faulty air flow sensor are the cause of the problem.
It's a very common problem for the Ford Windstar. Here a link to a web site with information how to repair:
When is the code detected?- Fuel injection system does not operate properly.
- The amount of mixture ratio compensation is too small. (The mixture ratio is too lean.) Symptoms- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Excessive Fuel ConsumptionP0174 FORD Description The Powertrain Control Module (PCM
) monitors the engine Air/Fuel mixture ratio, the actual mixture ratio can be brought closely to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The PCM
calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios.
In case the amount of the compensation value is extremely large (The actual mixture ratio is too lean.), the PCM
judges the condition as the fuel injection system malfunction and light up the engine light.