Question about 1993 Yamaha XV 535 Virago DX
Bulb is bad, but when replaced, headlight still does not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm assuming ithe fuse and bulb went bad around the same time? But haven't had time to look (just purchased the bike this week) and not even sure where they fuses are located. any specifics you can provide will be appreciated. The previous owner had issues with the low beam in the past, but high beam always worked.
The fuse box is located under the seat of the bike near the fuel filter it should be the 10A fuse next to the Main fuse (the 30A). if the fuse is ok and the high beam works, it sounds like there is a issue with the low beam wire. If that is the case then the lamp plug should have 3 wires on the back, yellow for High beam, green for Low beam, and black for Ground. then start test the green wire to see if you have power, if not at the plug then check at the dimmer switch, if not there then the start switch.
Posted on Jul 24, 2012
SOURCE: Bike won't start, battery bulged
Chances are it is the rectifier/regulator which is a sealed unit that has to be replaced if faulty. A bad one can cook your battery as well as your light bulbs and wiring. To check this connect a VOM across your battery terminals while the bike is running. If normal you should see about 13.5 volts. If your voltage climbs up to the 18 to 22 volt range or higher you must replace the part before you do further damage. Also be aware of the dangers of over charging a battery as it can explode and cause personal injury. If your battery has been cooked you will have smelled sulfuric acid and the battery will become hot to the touch. If that is the case you will also have to replace the battery as well as it will no longer hold a charge. When this happens the battery will bulge and this is called plate bow. By replacing both the battery and the rectifier/regulator you should be as good as new. In very rare instances it could be the stator which could cost a lot more but chances are its just the rectifier/regulator. I've seen them for very cheap prices on Ebay.
Posted on Aug 01, 2009
remove the bulb and test with a multi meter that you have power at the high beam socket. If so it is probably corrosion on the contacts. Clean with a plastic scourer and re fit the bulb. If no power there then test wiring for a broken wire or a dead relay.
Posted on Sep 20, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 03, 2013 | 1993 Yamaha XV 535 Virago DX
499 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: