Cars & Trucks - Page 9 - Recent Questions, Troubleshooting & Support
How do I know if my 4x4 buttons on my dash indicators are bad? Or why isnt it turn on?
Unless you have the Adventure Package, you don't have it. You need an auto electrician to tell you what you have and if the buttons are faulty.
If you are on 4 Low, is your top speed 20mph? If you can do 70mph in that hunk-a-junk, you are in High.
Find a dirt road and get some friends to watch . If you boot it, do all the wheels spin, or just one pair?
Those are the easy ways to check.
My alternator wont charge battery on 95 gmc sonoma
Here is my Alternator 101 class for today, what can fail. (all) Jeff nails it. (2.4 or 4.3L engine I can not guess) both are internal REG.
- battery is bad, if shorted cell in battery , altenator shuts down to prevent battery explode and acid every where. so test the battery first, for sure over 5 years old.
- alternator swaps and blew the 100amp fuse there , next time pull battery NEG lug to replace any ALT. or blow it again you will
- wires bad, or unplugged or connected backwards
- the rear ALT plug has 4 pins all 4 must be wired end to end correctly,no hack jobs seen here. and ALt lamp pin next.
- the cluster lamp ALT must not be burned out or self excitation fails and alt is born dead. replace the ALT lamp NOw. if blowned.out. in IP cluster.
- bad alternator or wrong one there now.(hack jobs)
- Engine idle RPM way way below 800 RPM and the ALT goes off line then,.
- Fan belt slip to alt. pulley, (sorry typed this out of order)
- a battery and anD alt both can be carried in hand to autostore and they test it, better stores do that, they load test the battery and spin test the alt.
- tests: more, put battery from good car to here and test now.
- jumper start the car, using 2nd running car, or ask a tow truck for a jump.
- below I pust red donuts on all fail points 3 fase MUST BE GOOD , 0 OHMS MESSURED. best is with battery unplugged never use meter DMM ohms with voltage present.(tech 101)
the lamp must be good as vast regulators fail , reg is inside ALT.
Not finding what you are looking for?