While charging my battery the other day I turned a way from the Jeep for a moment and heard a pop.When I turned around I noticed smoke coming from the area that is behind the battery and in front of the exterior fuse box.I found, upon further investigation that the green cable that was plugged to the fuse appeared to melting and the insulation of the wire was seeping out.None to the fuse had been burned up and I could not figured what happened.I gently close the hood and decided to look at it later.This is Jeep is great condition and never driven so I can not imagine what the problem may be.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert that has over 500 points.
Re: Problems while charging a battery
Hi you got a short on that circiut if it has nothing to do with you charging the battery you need to find out what this wire controls and strip the wire back to see where it stops melting and replace and replace what is causing the short [electric motors are favourite for shorting ] but be warned if a cars wiring starts to set on fire you will never in your life see anything like it you will have seconds rather than minites to get clear the smoke is unbearable if it sounds serious it is if the vechicles in good nick and you want to keep it my advice is sort as soon as best of luck paul
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You have rvc/regulated voltage control, that circuitry is in your pcm. I'm not saying the pcm is faulty, at the moment, I don't know? You also have a battery temp sensor in the battery tray housing, that might cause problems?
Check for applicable charging system trouble codes, if you haven't already.
You may have fried the fuseable link that comes off of the positive battery terminal. Disconnect it from the post as well as the negative cable from the battery. Check the continuity along the length of the cable anywhere thrre is no continuity the link has blow, replace it or the entire cable.
Here are the codes but i have no idea what could be causing the problem ,Perhaps the dead battery has done something to the ECU ,i would check the fuel pump feed out but first i would charge the battery for at least two days on trickle charge so the engine will crank ok as if the battery is too low this could cause problems although it should start with a jump and charge itself up but if the battery is too low it will not charge as a alternator needs power to produce a charge unlike a dynamo
First thing to check is the battery on jeep. If the battery is low on power or dead,charge the battery or replace it with a new battery. It sounds like you are not getting enough voltage to the starter to turn it over and start the jeep. Once you get the jeep started use a volt meter to check the voltage at the battery. The alternator should be putting out 14 to 15 volts to the battery. Check the battery cables at the battery,clean and tighten if need be. If the alternator is not putting out the voltage as i described then replace it. Make sure the radio and a/c is turned off in jeep before you run your test. Hope this will help.
First check the battery you may have fried one of the cells this would have made the pop sound, take the battery out to have it checked at a parts store, Also do this check if the battery is good, with the lights on and heater fan on have an assistant turn the vehicle over while in the front to observe the headlights if they dim considerably it's a battery or starter if the lights don't dim there is a bad connection or bad starter solenoid or in line fuse link, follow the starter wire and check for the presence of bad connections or bad fuse link on starter and solenoid wires.
This could be a relay problem. (they appear to be a lot of the electrical problems with volvos.) try twisting them gently while turning the ignition key. You will locate them behind the ashtray, but in order to remove/replace them, you will need to remove the housing. 2 screws for the cigar lighter, and it will just 'pop off'. good luck.
I just had this happen to mine the other day. In my case I had mine jumped but after a drive it around to make sure the battery was charged I had let it sit for 12 hours. I got in that night and it would not turn over. That that moment I knew the battery was not holding a charge. When I checked the battery I saw that I had the original factor battery. So after I changed out the battery I did not have any more problems.
Sounds like you could have a bad battery/corrosion. The reason is your car was just fine until you turned it off. This means that the alternator was putting out the juice to run your car with no help from the battery. This indicates a good alternator but a battery that is no longer holding a charge. Take it to Autozone, Pepboyz, etc and have the battery tested.
If you have a voltmeter handy, put it on the alt and on the frame of the car or engine block to test for voltage output. If it's 14v then you got yourself a most likely bad battery or check for corrosion on both ends of your battery cables.