P0128 coolant temp below thermostat/regulating temp
P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
This means that the engine's PCM detected that the engine has not reached the required temperature level within a specified amount of time after starting the engine. The intent of the P0128 code is to indicate a faulty thermostat. Similar codes: P0125
In determining the engine did not reach a "normal" temperature, it takes into account the length of time the vehicle has been running, the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor reading, the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor reading, and the speed of the vehicle.
Symptoms: You will likely not notice any drivability problems other than the MIL illumination.
Causes: A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* Low engine coolant level
* Leaking or stuck open thermostat
* Faulty cooling fan (running too much)
* Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
* Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
Possible Solutions: Past experience indicates that the most likely solution is to replace the thermostat. However here are some suggestions on troubleshooting and repairing a P0128 OBD-II code:
* Verify coolant strength & level
* Verify proper cooling fan operation (check if it's running more than it should). Replace if necessary.
* Verify proper engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
* Verify proper intake air temperature (IAT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
* If the above items check out good, replace the thermostat
* If Nissan vehicle, check for Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), as the ECM may need to be reprogrammed to correct the P0128 code
Hope helps (remember to rate and comment this).
Sep 27, 2010 |
2006 Dodge Caravan