Question about 1986 Volvo 760
Posted by Anonymous on
All Volvo passenger cars have a rigorous maintenance schedule. Typical items:
1) Timing belt and tensioner are designed to last only 50,000 miles. Both must be replaced when performing service on the belt drive system.
2) Transmission fluid service includes a filter and screen. It also includes cleaning of the magnets which trap particles before they can damage the transmission.
3) Models with two fuel pumps can have issues if the main pump fails or the tank pump fails. If either is suspect, change both and replace the filter, which is to be found underneath the car, in a cradle under the driver's side.
4) The fuel pump relay is especially vulnerable to failure - it is to be found on the overflow bottle (1984 to 1989 non-turbo, Regina non turbo) and all others on the driver's side, near the front of the car, aside of the battery on a clip.
5) B230F series engines use a rear-mounted distributor, the seals are prone to hardening and failure. They are all replaceable and at the time of this writing, are still obtainable. The procedure is relatively straightforward to remove and replace.
6) Oil seals all over the car should be replaced: front oil seals, cam oil seals, etc. They are all prone to hardening over the years and as such, should be replaced.
7) Vacuum lines 20+ years old usually will crumble - it is recommended to remove and replace them all. They are of different construction per the application and the general rule of thumb is to use the harder lines as they will not **** shut under high vacuum nor bulge during boost, if the vehicle is equipped with a turbocharger (1982-1986 used a GT03 Garrett, and later models used either a Mitsubishi TD04 or TD05).
8) New copper sealing washers must be used when working on the fuel or oil systems. Always use teflon tape when refitting various oil lines.
Posted on Jan 08, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 30, 2012 | Volvo Cars & Trucks
May 01, 2012 | 1989 Volvo 760
Aug 30, 2010 | 1986 Volvo 760
Aug 09, 2010 | 1986 Volvo 760
Jan 22, 2010 | 1986 Volvo 760
Dec 22, 2009 | 1986 Volvo 760
Jul 21, 2009 | 1987 Volvo 760
Mar 04, 2009 | 1986 Volvo 760
220 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: