Change rear gas struts on 98 Buick Lasabre
No, it isn't...
-20" breaker bar
-Liquid wrench (or WD-40 if you don't have any)
-Jack and stands
-sockets to fit all of the connections
1. Remove the back seat:
Bottom cushion comes out by pushing it rearwards and lifting, undo the 2 seatbelt bolts and 2 push nuts and remove the back cushion
2. Jack and support the frame of the car
3. Remove the wheels
4. Place a jack under the control arm where the spring connects to it and put a little tension on the spring. (this is so that when you unbolt the strut the control arm won't come crashing down)
5. Remove the air tube by rotating the spring clip 90 degrees and pulling on the tube at the connector.
5. Remove the lower strut bolts. (Exprerience shows me that removing the lower one first will save you lots of agony...)
6. Remove the two strut mounting bolts that are behind the back seat cushion.
7. Compress the strut and remove from the vehicle.
8. Installation is opposite of the removal. Remember to use a new mount if the one you are removing is worn. I recommend Quick-strut 171798. Good Luck!
P.S. Torque Specs are:
Lower Strut bolts- 140 ft/lbs
Upper strut bolts- 30 ft/lbs
Mount to strut bolt - 70ft/lbs
Dec 22, 2009 |
1998 Buick LeSabre