Question about 2001 Toyota Echo
This is a partial answer. The solution given is for removing the strut/spring assembly from the vehicle. Most replacement struts are sold WITHOUT the spring and therefore the spring must be removed from the old strut and place on the new strut.
DISCLAIMER: This is a very dangerous procedure and must be carried out with extreme care. The spring inside the strut assembly is under a great deal of compression and when released can fly and hit an unsuspecting individual. Ideally this should be done by a highly qualified professional as it can lead to severe injury or even death. I personally have done this on two cars and the second and last time I did it, the compression tool I mention below broke and the spring flew across the room just barely missing my hand.
I hereby include this for Informational purposed only.
Removal involves using a spring compression tool, which can be either bought or rented at the local rent-all.
1. The spring compression tool is fitted on the spring and then tightened until all pressure is released from the two extremities of the strut.
2. Then the bolt retaining the strut mount at the top of the assembly, is removed and the strut mount is carefully removed from the end of the strut assembly.
3. The strut assembly is gently removed from the middle of the spring.
4. The new strut assembly is then slid gently through the spring and the strut mount is then secured tightly back on the end of the strut assembly.
5. The spring is then slowly released, making sure it sits centered on the strut mount at the top and the spring retainer plate at the bottom of the strut assembly.
6. The place the top strut mount back in the car by aligning the three holes in the engine bay.
7. Align and place the two bolts at the wheel end of the strut and properly torque the bolts.
8. Place the rim back on the car and tighten the 4 bolts.
9. Repeat on the other side of the car.
Posted on Jul 10, 2012
SOURCE: replacing front struts
Okay....here is the steps first....and then the directions on how to use the tools:
Posted on May 13, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 20, 2014 | 2000 Toyota ECHO
Jun 17, 2011 | 2001 Toyota Echo
May 13, 2011 | 2002 Toyota ECHO
Nov 12, 2010 | 2000 Toyota ECHO
Oct 17, 2009 | 2001 Toyota Tundra
Aug 08, 2009 | 2001 Toyota Echo
Mar 03, 2009 | 2000 Toyota ECHO
Oct 01, 2008 | 2001 Toyota Echo
Aug 10, 2014 | 2001 Toyota Echo
2,695 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: