Question about 2001 Ford F150 Styleside SuperCrew
If you did not get an owners manual with your truck ( purchased used ), you can download one from Ford :
This is the owners manual, not a service manual.
Don't know if you were looking for this to check the fuses, that is question on the symptoms.
The Cruise Control, did you have the recall done on it ?
recall 05S28. Description: Speed Control Deactivation Switch.
If so, it could be the fuse is blown from leaking fluid. Quick test, unplug it from the master cylinder pressure switch, and jumper the 2 pins in the connector. This removes the pressure switch from the equation.
With the jumper in place, run the Cruise Control self test :
This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in park only with emergency brake fully engaged.
1. Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
2. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.
3. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
— 2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
— 3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
— 4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective
4. Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.
5. Return the ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to the Symptom Chart.
If you cannot enter the test, it could be the fuse in the harness is blown, and you will need a new harness.
The 4x4 issue
Lift and support the front of the truck so the front wheels are off the ground ( take safety precautions, chock wheels, jack stands, etc )
Key on, engage 4x4 and try to turn the front drive shaft.
If it turns it is a problem with the transfer case.
If it doesn't it is a front axle engagement problem.
Report back the results of the test on the front axle, to see which way to go next. 90% of the time, it is a vacuum shift diaphragm on the front axle that is not operating ( could be the vac lines, or the shift solenoids ).
After the front axle test, lower the truck back on the ground, start the engine, and have someone ( with foot on brake pedal, and truck in Park ) shift into 4WD. You should see the shift motor move.
You are looking for this on the front axle
It is item #10 in this parts diagram
Posted on Jan 04, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 18, 2017 | 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
Apr 19, 2015 | 2004 Chevrolet Malibu
Feb 04, 2018 | 1988 Ford Ranger
Feb 08, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Feb 11, 2018 | Ford F-150 Cars & Trucks
Feb 04, 2010 | 2001 Dodge Dakota
Feb 04, 2010 | 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
May 21, 2009 | 1999 Ford Explorer
Mar 20, 2009 | 1996 Land Rover Discovery
Jan 05, 2009 | 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
834 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: