I have a similar problem with one of my Toyota Corollas. It's a 95 model with the 1.8L engine (7A-FE, automatic). But unlike yours, it has plenty of power while running. Here's what it does. Occasionally the engine misses. Sometimes it will die. This is most likely to happen when you start the car and put it in reverse and start rolling without giving the engine time to adjust. I've been told by some customers that it will die sometimes when coming to a stop. But this has never happened when I drive it. I don't think it's a fuel issue because the car runs just fine when it's running.
Here's what I've tried so far:
- Replaced spark plugs and wires.
- Used gasoline additive fuel injector cleaner.
- Checked air filter.
- Checked vacuum hoses for leaks.
- Replaced PCV valve and hoses.
- Cleaned the air intake and throttle body with carburetor cleaner.
So far there is no change in the problem.
What I plan to do next:
- Check the throttle position sensor.
- Check the MAF sensor.
- Adjust the idle via the set screw.
After that I have no idea what to do next if the problem persists. The check engine light is not on so I don't think there are any error codes. Will let you know.
FrankFrank's Friendly Cars Maui Car Rentalwww.MauiCarRental.biz