I forgot to turn off the lights in my car. What can I do to start the car running? Do I need to replace the battery?
You can either jump the battery, or remove the battery from the car and bring it to your local repair shop to have it charged and tested, (a lot of auto supply stores will do this for free so call around), or you can jump start your battery and hope it holds a charge.
To jump a battery you will need a set of jumper cables and a second car, or a battery booster pack, (nice investment, they really are handy in a jam).
To jump a car with jumper cables:
******* Always where eye protection*********
1) Open the hood on the dead car and locate the battery.
2) Park the second car as close to the front of the dead car as possible, (just try to leave enough room to walk around the vehicles if you can).
3) Open the hood on the second car and locate the battery.
4) Attach the red, (positive) cable clamp to the Positive, (+) terminal of the battery on both cars.
5) Connect the black, (negative) cable clamp to the negative, (-) terminal of the battery of both vehicles.
6) With the second car running leave the vehicle to sit for about 5 minutes then attempt to start the dead vehicle.
7) If vehicle fails to start, wiggle the cable clamps to create a better connection.
8) If vehicle starts, remove the cable clamps negative first then the positive.
9) You may consider bringing the vehicle to your local auto supply to have the battery load tested once the car has run for a while, (most auto supply stores will do this for free so call around)
Using a booster pack is basically the same, except, you replace the second car with the booster pack. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging the booster pack before use.
Good luck. Please rate, thanks.