Question about Ford Mustang

1 Answer

I'm in need of changing the 2 barrel carburetor on my 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1. I understand that if i want to go to a 4 barrel carburetor I will need to change the intake (duh) and the heads. Is this correct? If I stay with the 2 barrel what brand and size should I get for the 351C?

Posted by Anonymous on


1 Answer

Ray Jones

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 97 Answers

To change to a 4 bbl u wil need to change the intake manifold, as for the heads only if u are going to preformance. Changing diffeent 2 bbls will not be of any advantage to you.

Posted on Jul 15, 2009


Add Your Answer


Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

What is involved in a carburetor switch from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel?

You need to buy a new intake manifold and buy the propper 4 barrel carbruetor.
Try to save yourself some money by buying a carb and intake performance kit from Edelbrock or other local parts stores...

I hope this helps...

May 13, 2013 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Need diagram of under the dash fuse box for my 2004 mach 1

This looks promising:

Hope it helps!

Jul 12, 2012 | 2004 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

2004 ford mustang mach 1 brake lights dont work dont have manual to change the fuse

I don't believe there is a separate fuse for the high-mount brake light. Never was on older cars, that brake light is just spliced into the rear brake lights. Have you checked the bulb?

Jul 11, 2012 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I need a carburetor diagram for a 1965 Ford Mustang 4100 4 barrel carb.

try or from yahoo type in motocraft 4bbl go to repair guides/ fuel systems/ autolite/ motocraft /4300

Apr 30, 2011 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I'm trying to change the intake manifold and carbuetor on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1 from a 2 barrel setup to a four barrel setup. I purchased a Edelborck Performer 2750 351 2V which should allowed the change....

As best as I can tell from the Edlebrock website and the information you included, you have the wrong intake. The intake you purchased is for "C" or Cleavland engine or even a "M"; when what you have appears to be a "W" Windsor engine.

Jan 25, 2010 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

What is the bolt torque settings for an intake manifold on a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with a 351C and 2-barrel heads? Also, Where can I find a diagram showing the sequence or pattern for placing the intake...

Intake Manifold 5/16 Bolts Non-Hardening sealers 25 ft-lbs
Cast Iron Heads 3/8 Bolts 30 ft-lbs

The torque sequence is snug all down then just star left rear then right front then right rear then left front and so on

Nov 27, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

1973 Mustang carburetor replacement.

it would be easier to buy the adapter but holley al;so makes intake manifold for this problem they are pricey but you get the full 600cfms with an adapter you wont get as much oomph out of it but and adapter is a good idea especially when you dont have 300 to blow on the manifold

Oct 02, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I need to replace the carburetor on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1. It has a 351C 2-barrel and it is leaking. What size and type and model should I get? Thanks! I'm restoring it so I know I'll have more questions.

The tag number is what you would use to get a refresh kit from an auto parts store. As for an NOS unit - good luck. They haven't made those in nearly 30 years. If you want it profesionally redone (like for a restoration) you might contact Pony Carbs. Otherwise, just clean it up, put a kit in it and go.

Good luck and hope this helps. The carb kit from localauto parts retailer would probably run you less than $30. 

Jul 16, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I need to replace the 2 barrel carburetor on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1. What size (cfm) and which brand would work best? Thanks!

If this is the stock 302 cu. inch V-8, the original carburetor will be a Motorcraft 550 CFM carb. If you would like an upgrade I wouldn't go up on the cfm's unless you do a intake manifold change to a competion intake such as a Edelbrock competition intake or other modifications (increased compression ratio, larger valves, higher lift cam etc.) that would allow increased flow.

Jul 14, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

183 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

85239 Answers

Thomas Perkins
Thomas Perkins

Level 3 Expert

14852 Answers


Level 3 Expert

4372 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides