Question about Dodge Ram 1500
Problem: I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 L HEMI. My ABS and Parking Brake lights were illuminated, and my speedometer needle would "bounce". Also when sitting at a stop sign or just sitting idle, the engine would stall, and often times stop running.
Solution: After long research on this problem, I decided to dig in and try to find the problem myself. I replaced the Rear ABS Sensor
($35) that's located on top of the rear differential. Still no fix. I then unplugged the ABS Controller (or Module) that's located directly behind the battery (You should see the metal brake lines running into the top of it.) When I unplugged it, I noticed LOTS of moisture in the plug. Using an air hose, I blew out the water and let it dry good. When I plugged it back in, and hooked the negative battery terminal back up THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED!! Simple fix. Hope this helps.
Comments: Mar 01, 2010- I forgot about the Cruise issue. My cruise also stopped working, and I noticed my brake lights would stay lit anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds after lifting my foot off the brakes.
I simply replaced the brake pedal switch located just above the brake pedal. ($10) Took about 2 minutes if that.
Please rate and respond to both of my posts if this helps anyone else. I would like to get this solution posted all over the internet so we will no longer get ripped off by Dealerships for a simple fix. Thanks
Posted on Mar 01, 2010
My 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 has this issue. One day I went to the movies and everything was tip top. After I came out, all of my lights (engine, air bag, seatbelt, ABS, and Brake) came on and my speedometer didn't work. ALSO (and this is the weird part) my heating / cooling system went completely unresponsive. My truck is stuck on maximum heat and won't shut off. Here's what I've done so far...
1. I unhooked my battery for 10 minutes. This turned off my engine, seat belt and air bag light.
2. I checked all my fuses. Nothing wrong there.
3. I took it to a car wash and paid extra for the under body cleaning. I figured since I haven't washed my car in 6 months the ABS sensors may have some break dust build up. When I pulled out of the wash I stopped at Wendy's and grabbed a burger and before my last bite EVERYTHING WAS BACK TO NORMAL. The car wash appeared to have fixed my truck! All lights were off. Speedometer worked. Heating / Cooling back to normal.
4. Excited, I took it into an auto-repair (non-dealer) shop to get my oil changed the same day. Once they were finished, I started it up and everything was back to how it was (broken). The shop owner gave me a free scan with his scanner and told me it was my Rear Differential ABS Sensor. That was the only thing it reported.
5. I replaced my Rear Differential ABS Sensor which did absolutely nothing. The ABS and brake light remained on. The speedometer still showed nothing. Basically wasted $40 and two hours of my time.
6. I went to the dealer and they wanted $110 just to hook it up to the computer. What a scam! It makes me sick. I managed to talk to a mechanic who pitied me enough to tell me that it is probably my wiring that connects all my ABS sensors since replacing the sensor didn't work. I asked him, "what about my heating / cooling?". He told me that those two problems are in no way related. He said the only thing they have in common is that they both talk to the main computer and that it going out must have been some freak coincidence. I still find that hard to believe.
8. I am going to check my all my brakes and the other two ABS sensors before I take it into the dealer. I am assuming that this is NOT the problem concerning my ABS / Brake light and Speedo not working.
8. God knows wtf is wrong with my heating / cooling. The fan won't change settings. It is stuck on heat and it will only blow on the floor and body. You can't change the settings.
The weirdest part of this whole experience is the car wash. What could that have possibly done to fix every single problem? I am assuming that it may be some faulty wiring and the under blast may have jarred something back into place? I'm under the impression that the H/C and indicator lights ARE related because the car wash fixed the problem for 30 minutes and failed simultaneously again. =(
Posted on Oct 14, 2009
Replace the speed sensor in the rear differential
Posted on Jul 04, 2009
My company used to repair body computers (BCM) for Chrysler/Dodge vehicles which contol the warnings you are getting. The car wash could be a major clue. We have seen numerous false intermittent warnings created due to fluid intrusion, such as water, into the BCM assembly. If this is the case, your final solution is to replace it and stop the leak or it will continue. It will have to come through a dealer since it must be programmed to your vehicle options.
If that is not the problem, I would think that your problem still is a result of the BCM. Sometimes the internal memory of its microcomputer becomes corrupted due to electrical spikes, etc. This causes the BCM to mock the same problems as fluid intrusion. Again, your BCM should be replaced and must come from the dealer.
The BCM's are programmed by a small network of authorized Mopar servicers who are equipped with proprietary equipment that can read/write to the microprocessor. This includes your mileage and is one reason why the service must go through the dealer. If you purchase one from a junk yard or used parts dealer, your mileage will not be correct and some of your options will not work.
Posted on Jan 08, 2010
I have a 98 ram 2500 w the 360 v8, Guess what? the exact same problems, abs and brake lights on, no speedo, check engine light, stalls now at stop lights. This sounds like a recall to me. Dodge are you listening? They should be fixing this problem for free, fortunately my car is an import.
Posted on Nov 25, 2011
Same problem facing in Chevrolet captiva, DTC U0073, U0121 and P0500 ,,,,suddenly odometer stops working ,all needles(Temperature,rpm, speed etc.) showing 0 reading , ac stops cooling while blower keep running,reverse gear light stop working
Can anybody suggest solution?
Posted on Apr 15, 2019
Audi a4 2001 lights air bags abs plus brake light blinking made 3 beeps when i start the car
Posted on Nov 18, 2009
Rear Sensor replacement 44.95 retail
Shop Labor 60.00
This will fix the ABS and Brake lights, will fix the speedometer isue and smooth out the erratic shifting.
Posted on May 19, 2009
Bro I had the same problem and the car is under repair now.
Check three points. 1) FUSES 2) ABS MUDULATOR 3) SPEED SENSOR
In most case it is the ABS MODULATOR, due to heating.
Posted on Dec 30, 2008
As far as the cruise control look under the battery, drivers side one if a diesel and there is a vacume line for the cruise. This vacume line always breaks right under the battery causing the cruise not to work.. Ive owned 2 2nd gen dodges with non working cruises and this was the problem on both.
Posted on Feb 18, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 10, 2014 | 2010 Scion xB
Jul 15, 2014 | 2001 GMC Jimmy
Jun 28, 2014 | Cars & Trucks
Oct 16, 2017 | 2005 Honda Accord
Oct 22, 2010 | Dodge Ram 1500 Cars & Trucks
May 11, 2009 | 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500
Jan 19, 2018 | 1996 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup
Jan 13, 2009 | 1999 Dodge Dakota
Oct 05, 2008 | 2007 Toyota Yaris
19,285 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: