Question about 1995 Dodge Caravan
Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter i do have pressure on lines into injectors
Posted by Anonymous on
You need to do a fuel pressure check.. You will need a special fuel gauge and the appropriate fittings and adapters are needed to properly test the fuel pressure.
1. Relieve the fuel pressure.
Remove the fuel pump relay form the Power Distribution Center (PDC) Start the engine and run until it stalls. attempt restating the engine until it will no longer run. Turn the ignition key off. Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal. Replace the fuel pump relay in the PDC. Any if you get any trouble codes at this time you will need to see a shop to have them cleared.
2. Disconnect the quick-connect fuel line fitting fuel gauge into the fuel line using the appropriate T-fitting and adapters.
3. Start the engine and check the pressure on the gauge, your reading should be 49 PSI with the pressure with the engine idling.
4. if the fuel pressure is not 49 PSI:
1) if fuel pressure is higher you could have a pinched of clogged fuel return hose of pipe. if the line is not obstructed check the fuel pressure regulator.
2) if fuel pressure is lower check the fuel filter, look for a pinched of clogged fuel hose between the tank and the fuel rail. check the pressure regulator for malfunctions. Look for leaks in the fuel line.
Hope this helps.
Posted on Jan 16, 2009
I doubt the regulator is bad, the fuel pressure regulator is after the injectors in the return stream to the tank, more likely it is the fuel pump.
Posted on Mar 10, 2009
I would check the fuel pump relay and the fuse for the sending unit and also would take the line off just in front of the fuel filter to see if I am getting fuel to that point but check the fuel pump relay and the fuse first
Posted on Apr 05, 2009
Please clarify the "loosing power" does it lose power and shut down or does it loose power but will idle? Your Cummins is electronically controlled so oil condition is important, fuel leaks, oil leaks, leaks in the air ducting between the turbo and the intake, sensors, water in the fuel. Do you get an engine light when this trouble happens? Dodge uses a lift pump to carry fuel to the the injection pump, is it working?
Posted on May 31, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 14, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Jul 26, 2011 | 1995 Chevrolet Blazer
Jul 01, 2011 | 1988 Dodge Caravan
2002 Dodge Caravan
Fuel Filter Replacement Procedure
1. The fuel filter is located on top of the fuel tank near the fuel pump module. Fuel lines are permanently attached to filter assembly and must be replaced with the fuel filter.
2. Release pressure from fuel system by removing the fuel pump relay and start the engine and let it die. Crank the engine a couple times after it dies to relieve more of the fuel pressure
3. Disconnect negative battery cable
4. Raise and support vehicle
5. Support fuel tank with transmission jack or floor jack with large plywood board to evenly distribute the weight of the fuel tank. NOTE: It is important to distribute weight evenly to prevent damage to the fuel pump module.
6. Disconnect ground strap from fuel tank
7. Remove inboard fuel tank straps and front "T" strap fastener
8. Lower the fuel tank approximately 6 inches to access the fuel filter assembly.
9. Disconnect the fuel lines at the fuel supply connector and the fuel pump module
10. Remove the retaining bolt and remove filter assembly from vehicle.
11. Reverse removal procedure to install (Don't forget to put the fuel pump relay back )
Apr 02, 2011 | 2002 Dodge Caravan
Sep 03, 2010 | 1995 Dodge Caravan
Sep 16, 2009 | 1994 Dodge Caravan
Sep 15, 2009 | 1996 Dodge Caravan
Apr 01, 2009 | 1995 Dodge Caravan
Mar 10, 2009 | 1995 Dodge Caravan
Jan 16, 2009 | 1995 Dodge Caravan
Aug 02, 2014 | 1995 Dodge Caravan
39 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: