Tip & How-To about Chevrolet Malibu
First disconnect the battery.
second you will need the ignition key.
step 1: remove the radio cover
step 2: remove the radio
step 3: remove the 2 bolts holding the ignition switch in place
step 4: work the switch out through the radio hole
step 5: gently unplug the white and the yellow wires from the side of the cylinder
Optional: completely remove the switch by disconnecting the ignition wires and cable.
( you do not have to completly remove the switch if you are just changing the cylinder)
step 6: follow the video
a: put the key in
b: turn key two clicks
c: push the holding pin with a small screwdriver
d: pull the cylinder out
use cation when unplugging and replugging and the white and yellow wires, these are the anti-theft security wires. they plug into the chip on the cylinder. the car will not run without them or if the chip gets damaged.
Posted by Red neck on
1. disconnect neg- battery cable,
2. then remove lower interior covers 7mm screws or 9/32.
3. locate cable for shift indictor remove with small pick.
4. locate two 15mm bolts faces upward remove them .steering column will lower.
5. next you will remove dimmer switch. apply small piece of tape to actuator rod then remove 1 mount 5/16 bolt 13/8 nut set aside or leave hang by the wires.
6. disconnect wiring to ignition switch, then remove remaining bolts.with key in lock position remove switch from rod this actuator rod is for ignition switch.
to install the new ignition switch work from 6 back to 1. Joe
Thanks for choosing Fixya!
Dec 09, 2010 | 1989 Buick Century
Jul 26, 2010 | 1995 Toyota Camry
Jul 11, 2009 | 1991 Ford F150
Jul 09, 2009 | 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
May 23, 2009 | 2005 Peugeot 405