20 Most Recent
Questions & Answers
No spark at plugs. Has power to coil
By power to coil do you mean spark comes out of coil tower or only the feed wire to the coil has power ? If only the feed wire has power the coil may be bad. Which engine do you have ?
My 87 Honda has been sitting for more then a year, what all should I check before starting it up?
I would suggest you to check the following components and systems before you could attempt to start the car:
- Ensure there is enough fuel in the tank. It is not recommended to use the fuel older than 6 months.
- Check the inflation of all Tires including the spare one.
- Check the battery state of charge and its health. If the starter motor turns the engine properly, its OK, if not recharge or replace the battery. If the car is long parked, it is required that the battery be disconnected and recharged at least once a month.
- Check engine oil level. If it is normal, start the engine and replace the engine oil at the earliest.
- Check coolant level in the radiator and reservoir. Start the engine and replace the coolant at some suitable time.
- Drive the car and observe any abnormal noise coming from the wheel bearings, if any.
- Visually inspect all the rubber bushes, hoses, pipes and boots for deterioration.
- Finally take it for detailed car wash.
Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve is located under the intake manifold.
1987 honda civic
Disconnect the electrical at the top. Sometimes you can get the fan out and then the shroud-due to limited space. They would both come out from the top.
We mechanics will tell you to test the fan motor with jumper wires from the battery before you decide to pull it off. On most cars, the computer turns the fan on through a cooling fan relay. On your '87, it is possible that a thermal switch on the radiator may turn the fan relay on at a set temperature. One would have to see a wiring diagram.
Just looked at a diagram: If your car is fuel injected, check fuse #13, a 15 amp blue fuse. And same if carbureted, fuse #13-this fuse is for the relay and the fan motor. If carbureted, also check fuse #20-a 20amp fuse.
There are no computer controls for the fan on an '87. there is a thermo switch-at a set temperature, the switch will close-completing the ground path for the fan motor. There is also a radiator fan timer switch, tied in with the thermo switch and the air temperature sensor.
Sound complicated? Well, it is, even with no computer controls. If the fan motor is good, check or replace the thermo switch. Be sure and check those fuses, also. If no help, a tech will probably have to diagnose it.
1987 hONDA CIVIC CRX 300 THOUSAND MI. HAVING
It could have bad wire connection to the alternator, When the car runs try disconnecting the battery if it stays running the alternator is good and the wiring is good. If it dies then the alternator or the wiring is bad.
Missing and backfiring in 1987 honda civic
Check the following items:
- Check the spark plug gaps. (0.90 - 1.0 mm)
- Check the resistance of spark plug high tension cords (10 K Ohms - 25 K Ohms)
- Check the distributor cap and rotor for cracks and or corrosion.
- Check ignition timing (17 degrees at 750 rpm)
How do I replace the carburetor gasket
howdie go to your local Canadian tire store or your local libraries for printing out for manuals on your car and away you go cause they have all the steps you need to take it off
Not finding what you are looking for?