20 Most Recent 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Questions & Answers

It isn't a speed sensor. In 1989 all GM front drives were hydraulic shift. Do you know if it is a three speed or four speed. The speed sensor in 1989 only controls the speedometer. Also can you describe the problem. Does it just slip? Only certain gears?

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Jul 17, 2019

Scottykw I have an 88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais quad 4,2.3L needing help locating the knock sensor on my car,rough idling and slow and sluggish acceleration.ive replaced the crank shaft position sensor and spark plugs,and fuel filter and allot of other things, but not the knock sensor or the Mass air flow sensor...where can I locate the knock sensor?

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Oct 16, 2018

You need to figure out what you are missing. What is the fuel pressure at the rail when you are cranking the engine? It needs to be above 40PSI. If you have sufficient fuel pressure you need to check for spark at the plugs while cranking. If you verify you have sufficient fuel and spark then you need to look to timing and compression. These are the four things an engine need to run. Fuel, spark, compression, and timing.

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Dec 19, 2017

Change the fuel filter and if it continues then check fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel rail. It also could be a bad low side coil. Is the check engine light on when it's running? Get the codes pulled.

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Nov 23, 2017

Have you checked the fuel flow and pressure?
If the fuel pump is over 160,000kms/100,000miles it's done.
Put in a complete assembly,if your mileage is close to above numbers you need a new pump anyway and it may (90% chance) will cure your rough running engine.The other 10 % is contaminated fuel and electrical, but as you have no codes I'll say FUEL PUMP.

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Apr 11, 2017

Your problem might have it's root in electronic sensors but historically a fluctuating idle is associated with fairly tangible things - intake air leaks and/or inefficient fuelling - worn or dirty carburettor, bad injector spray patterns, worn throttle shaft and suchlike...

A splutter on sudden acceleration can have similar causes or be rooted in worn or wrongly gapped spark plugs or simply not enough spark power.
It is true the three items you mention are associated with fuelling but I am against replacing stuff unless it is known to need replacing and before looking for electronic cures it is important to go back to basics and check the engine condition and any adjustments or replacements needed.

If the injector spray patterns are bad or if the intake valve seats are imperfect or the fuel pressure regulator isn't working the exhaust gas will be giving the wrong story to the oxygen sensor which in turn will be sending the wrong signals to the management computer. The computer in it's turn tries to weaken the air/fuel ratio when it should be doing the reverse or vice-versa. In most cases it pays to do the basics first...

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Mar 25, 2017

Depending upon the age of the fuel pump, it may be failing.

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Mar 06, 2017

Make sure your new alternator is working. Just because it's new doesn't mean it works. Have it tested. Autozone will do it for free.

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Sep 02, 2016

On the sisw of motor where THE Alternater is

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Apr 24, 2016

You have to pull the instrument panel , then the heater box . Lot of work, you can find videos on youtube showing step by step how to do it.

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Nov 05, 2015

This should be a drive by wire vehicle meaning it has a cable for the throttle body. First thing would be to see if any error codes can be pulled up (most parts stores will do that for free.) Drive by wire versus the late model that use electronic control for the idle have a IAC or idle air control which when first started controls the idle air intake--all air is run by it to idle the vehicle when cold--

Usual symptoms are rather high idle when cold engine or even idle and RPM jumping up and down and stalling when cold.

Another way if idle does drop when cold is tapping the gas--engine will still run until hot. Means not usually a fuel pump issue.

You could also have if the vehicle is fuel injected a dirty Mass air flow sensor, a throttle position sensor, etc.

These can be if the vehicle has them cleaned using a special zero residue spray cleaner.

First have it scanned to see what if any errors it shows--the computer.

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Oct 12, 2015

perhaps at the autoparts store where they sell them

1989 Oldsmobile... | Answered on Aug 29, 2015

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

471 questions posted

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Oldsmobile Experts


Level 3 Expert

85239 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22485 Answers

Jeffrey Turcotte
Jeffrey Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8984 Answers

Are you an Oldsmobile Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

View Most Popular

Cutlass Ciera Oldsmobile

  • Cutlass Ciera Oldsmobile

Most Popular Question

ecm recalibrated after changing speed

  • Cars & Trucks