How do I take Uniden
It depends on the reason for the in use message on the line. It could be the phone or the wiring. To diagnose the problem, I like to use an old corded phone.
Plug a different phone into the jack (where the cordless base is); use a new telephone cord. Do you have a normal dial tone? If yes, try the cord with the cordless phone's base; if this doesn't solve the problem, then the problem is the phone. If the phone is bad and under warranty, contact Uniden. These phones are really not meant to be serviced by the user.
Otherwise, try the second phone at another extension. If you get a dial tone, then the problem may be the jack where the cordless phone's base is plugged in. Try the cordless phone and see if you still get the message.
If you didn't get a dial tone, find where the phone service comes in. If you have a new install, you will find that your service line uses RJ-11 jacks. Plug your second phone into the jack and check for dial tone. If the phone still doesn't work, call your phone company. There is a problem with the wiring to your location and they will fix it as part of providing the service. Otherwise, the problem is with the wiring inside your home.
For indoor wiring issues, check any exposed wires for damage. Open the wall plate and check for a loose wire. Some will terminate with screws - just loosen the screw, strip more of the strand wire's insulation if needed, wrap it around the screw and tighten carefully. Others will use a keystone jack. Open the cover (just lifts off) and check the strands. You may need to remove the wire, cut it back and strip a new section of the outer insulation. Then using a special tool push each strand fully into the appropriate slot (do not strip the strand insulation). This tool is sold in many hardware stores in the wiring section alongside the keystone jacks. A plastic version is included with many keystones.
If the wiring problem is deeper inside the walls, you may want a professional. Your telephone provider will do this for a fee.
I hope this helps.
(a few weeks ago, we had an open line due to mice eating the wires near the road. It wasn't the first time for the problem. We've also lost a dial tone due to a failed filter for the DSL after a lightning strike and when a road crew dug up the wire by accident.)
22 hours ago