Want to use printer to scan document to my
USB/PARALLEL CONNECTION USERS:
The Check Cable message generally indicates that
there is a communication or connection loss between the computer and the Brother
Machine. To resolve this issue perform the following steps:
PART 1: VERIFY THE CABLE CONNECTION
1. Verify that you are using the proper interface
cable with your Brother machine. Brother recommends you use an interface cable
that is 6 feet (2 meters) or less, directly connected from the Brother machine
to an available port on your computer.
a) For USB cable users, a type A/B 1.1 or 2.0 USB
cable is recommended.
b) For parallel cable users a Shielded IEEE 1284
compliant cable is recommended.
c) Other cable configurations may work, however
connection loss is common. For troubleshooting purposes, do not connect your
interface cable through any hubs, splitters, docking stations, or other
2. Check the cable connection to the brother
machine. Remove the cablefrom both the computer and the Brother machine. Leave
them unplugged for a few seconds, and then reseat the cable on both ends to
ensure a secure connection. For USB users, ensure the USB cable is plugged into
the Brother machine's USB Port, not the LAN port if applicable.
3. Restart the Brother machine. Cycle the power off
for 15 seconds, and then back on.
PART 2: VERIFY THE DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED
1. Open the Scanners and Cameras Control Panel:
Click START -> (SETTINGS) -> CONTROL PANEL -> SCANNERS AND CAMERAS
(Note: You may first have to click on PRINTERS AND OTHER HARDWARE or HARDWARE
2. Verify that the Brother scanner is listed. If
the Brother scanner is listed, continue to PART 3. If the Brother scanner is not
listed, continue to PART 6 to install the driver.
PART 3: RESTART THE WINDOWS IMAGE ACQUISITION (WIA)
SERVICE (WINDOWS XP/VISTA USERS ONLY)
1. On the computer, Click on START -> RUN or in
the START SEARCH line.
2. Type: SERVICES.MSC and press ENTER.
3. Locate WINDOWS IMAGE ACQUISITION (WIA) Service,
and double click on it.
3a. If you are not able to locate the service, this
indicates and operating system issue. This service exists on all Windows
XP/Vista computers. Contact your computer OEM for further support.
4. Check the STARTUP TYPE, and make sure it is set
to AUTOMATIC. If itis set to anything else change it to AUTOMATIC.
5. Verify the Service Status.
a) If the Service is STARTED, press STOP, and then
press START to restart the service.
b) If the Service is STOPPED press START to restart
*Note: If you receive any error message while
restarting the service, orare not able to start the service this indicates an
operating system issue. This service controls all scanning operations. If the
WIA Service is not started, you will not be able to scan from any scanner, and
refer to the Computer OEM for further support.
6. Close WINDOWS IMAGE ACQUISITION (WIA) Service,
and close the Services window.
7. Attempt another test scan using the SCAN button
on the Brother machine. If the scan is unsuccessful, continue to PART
PART 5 - APPLY THE SCANNER PATCH BrWIARegRepair.exe
(WINDOWS XP/VISTA USERS ONLY)
1. While connected to the Internet, on your
computer, Click on START -> RUN
2. Erase anything in the open box and type:
3. Click OK
4. Click SAVE. For the Save-In location choose
DESKTOP and click SAVE again. This will save the file to the Desktop.
*NOTE: If DOWNLOAD COMPLETE appears, click
5. Go to the Desktop and locate the zip file
6. Click UNZIP. You will receive a message stating:
1 file unzipped successfully. Click OK and close the WinZip Self Extractor
window. Thefile will automatically be extracted to a Brother folder on the
7. Go to the Desktop and locate a Brother folder.
Double click the Brother folder and then double click the BrWIARegRepair.exe
file in the folder.
8. When you see the following message: SETUP
COMPLETED PLEASE CLICK OKAND THEN RESTART WINDOWS FOR THESE SETTINGS TO TAKE
EFFECT. Code X. (NOTE: X will be 1, 2, or 3). Make a note of the code and
restart your computer.
9. Once the computer restarts attempt another test
scan using the SCAN button on the Brother machine. If the scan is unsuccessful,
continue toPART 6.
PART 6: UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL THE BROTHER
Before you perform the uninstall, ensure that you
have the software CD or access to the Internet to download the software needed
1. On the computer click on START -> (ALL)
PROGRAMS -> BROTHER -> MFL-PRO SUITE -> UNINSTALL. If the software is
not present continue to step 4.
2. When asked to confirm that you want to
completely remove the software, click OK.
3. When the uninstall is complete, you will be
prompted to restart the computer. Click YES.
4. Once the computer restarts, reinstall the
software. For instructions, refer to the solution: How do I setup/install my
Brother machine with a local (USB/Parallel) connection? #OR- How do I download
and install my Brother machine using a local (USB/Parallel)
5. Once the software has been reinstalled, attempt
another test scan using the SCAN button on the Brother machine. All drivers have
been reinstalled, and the issue should be resolved.
on May 09, 2019