We have had this camera since December 04 and it always worked fine. We haven't used it much. Lately, when you turn it on, it will automatically go to format instead of letting you take photos. This is even after we have charged the battery. We even bought a new battery. Sometimes, you will be at an event, and taking photos and all the sudden you turn it back on and it wants you to format the card. This would lose all the photos already taken. on a 252 mg card even. Anyone else had this problem. My daughter's wedding is coming up and I need a camera that is reliable.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert that has over 500 points.
An expert who has answered 200 questions.
Re: Camera wants you to format when you turn it on.
On some cards, you will need to clean the contacts of the card to get it to see the card. you can clean with a pencil eraser lightly over the contacts and wipe clean or alcohol cleaner (let air dry for one hour before inserting card back into camera)
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Using the internal memory locks some cameras into that mode. To get your card to work again, do this...with no card in the camera, go into the menu and find "format" and follow the on-screen instructions to erase the internal memory. Then, re-insert the card and it should work.
Hi there please follow the steps and let me know the result.
1. Ensure batteries are fully charged.
2. Look carefully between the lens and the camera body for any sand, dirt or any damaged etc.
3. Try turning the camera with the lens facing down and shake to dislodge anything stuck
4. Try removing batteries and memory card, wait 5 minutes and refit the battery only.
5. Now turn on camera( with out card ) and see ,if working then fix the memory card & again turn on the camera. If working then fine . Otherwise format the memory card and fix back in camera again & try. Make sure before format the memory card take a back up all photos in your computer then format. If no luck then reset or restore the camera setting by pressing Menu key for 2 sec .. in not done the press both Menu & self time key for 2 - 4 sec.
After all this if its not work then the lens guide pin is damaged & replacing the lens is the solution of your problem.
1. Go into the menu and find "reset"...follow the on-screen instructions.
2. With no card in the camera, go into the menu and find "format"...follow the instructions..
3. After downloading any pictures from the card, insert it into the camera and do the "format" thing again.
everything should work now. Remember, never use the computer to format or erase your card...always use the camera. Also, when removing the card from the computer, always use "safely remove hardware" icon at the bottom right of your computer screen.
GOOGLE IMAGE RESCUE 3 ,WHEN IT SAYS,RUN OR SAVE,
SAVE IT IN MY DOCUMENTS, CLICK ON IT TO LOAD PROGRAM ON
COMPUTER.USE CARD-READER, PUT CARD IN WHEN ITS PLUGGED INTO COMPUTER.
RUN IMAGE RESCUE 3 YOU SHOULD SEE WHERE TO SCAN
ALWAYS FORMAT CARD AFTER IMAGES HAVE BEEN REMOVED
DO THIS IN CAMERA NOT CARD-READER.
BURN IMAGE RESCUE 3 TO DISC YOU ALWAYS HAVE PROGRAM.
This problem is frequently due to corroded battery terminals inside thecamera. Remove the batteries and wipe the terminals with a soft cloth(heavy corrosion may require a fine wire brush, steel wool, orsandpaper). Remove any residue left in the camera by the cleaning. Clean the terminals on the batteries in the same manner, and thenreplace them in the camera. This cures most problems, but if itdoesn't work for you, check the Kodak troubleshooting guide at:
Go to camera Menu and select Initialize, OK. Camera will turn on itself, if problem still exist, tap camera gently and turn On again to solve lens access problem. Memory stick error can be solved by formatting it through Format menu in camera. Use another memory stick in camera to make sure that camera is OK.
This function lets you format a card. Formatting prepares cards to receive
data. Before using non-Olympus cards or cards which have been formatted
on a PC, you must format them with this camera.
All data stored on the card, including protected pictures, is erased
when the card is formatted. When formatting a used card, confirm
there are no pictures that you still want to keep on the card.
Page 173 of your advanced user manual explains how to format the memory card and clear all data from it.