Switching to the MS Outlook Conduits using the Palm Installation CD
OK...I GIVE UP!!! I have been trying for 3 days to get my Tungsten C to update using the MS Outlook conduit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program more times than I care to count. I have installed every update I can find from both Palm and Chapura. Most solutions refer me back to the installation disk saying there is a file there that allows me to select MS Outlook Conduits. I can't find it anywhere. The only thing I find is the installation program and when I run that I end up back where I started. Where is the window that lets me select for it to sync with my Outlook files and to update my Palm Desktop with the Outlook information. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?! I should be able to make this switch right from my PDA.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has achieved Level 3.
Re: Switching to the MS Outlook Conduits using the Palm...
Search Installation Disk, I had this same issue. The Outlook conduit is on the installation guide, you have to search for it.
1. Insert the installation disk.
2. Open My Computer
3. Right click the drive that contains the disk.
4. Click Search.
5. Enter the conduit name for your device (ex: Pocket Mirror)
6. The search results should contain the executible file that you need to run to sync with Outlook.
Hope this helps.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
In order to synchronize with Outlook you need to setup the replication to be with Outlook instead of Palm Desktop.
On you cd there should be a third party piece of software (Chapura). Install the required software and follow the instructions.
Have you downloaded the outlook Conduits?
Have you downloaded the outlook Conduits from the CD?
I had a similar experience recently to discover that I hadn't completed the installation.
Hope this helps
Remember to change (HotSync, Custom) settings before you perform your sync or else you will get duplicate records as I did. Good luck.
Support Knowledge Library
Click here to go back Click here to print
Solution ID: 25263
Switching between Outlook and Palm Desktop synchronization
Depending on your device, you might be synchronizing with Outlook using the Palm™ Outlook Conduits, or PocketMirror conduits from Chapura (find out which). Both of these types of conduits are installed and activated when you run the CD-ROM that came with your device.
What do you want to learn about?
* Switching synchronization: Palm Outlook Conduits
* Switching synchronization: PocketMirror Conduits
* Synchronizing partially with Palm Desktop, partially with Outlook
* Note about data transfer
* Macintosh information
* Multiple users on the same desktop computer
Switching synchronization: Palm Outlook Conduits
These instructions apply to the Palm Outlook Conduits that are included with handhelds released after late 2003. The Palm Desktop installer determines which conduits are activated during the installation process.
If you want to switch synchronization from Palm Desktop to Outlook, or vice versa, you'll need the original CD-ROM that came with your handheld.
1. Insert the CD-ROM into your computer. A window should open, containing the contents of the CD-ROM.
2. From the Discover Your Handheld screen, select "Install Microsoft Outlook Conduits" or "Change synchronization method" (depending on which device you have)
3. Follow the instructions for switching synchroniztion from or to Palm Desktop or Outlook.
4. See our note about data transfer
Remember: Some applications will continue to synchronize with Palm Desktop. Use Palm Desktop to manage applications such as Photos and VoiceMemo
After installing, reinstalling, deleting, hard resets, hitting head against wall... I tried installing the Pocket Mirror conduit as a last ditch effort. An error message popped up saying it could not find the mapi32.dll file. I looked at another PC, located that file in the windows32 directory, copied it to my PC, and I was able to hotsync with Outlook. To test this, I uninstalled the Pocket Mirror and Palm desktop SW, then deleted the mapi32.dll. Installed the Palm 4.1.4 sw, outlook 101 update, plus the conduit update, had same error messages. Added the mapi32.dll to the windows32 directory - was able to successfully sync with Outlook!
if u want to sync with outlook , u would either have to buy the installiation disc from palm online store or call up tech support , it will cost u, or if you want u call also chapura and buy the outlook conduits from them , u dont get the outlook conduits on the website . In the installiation disc u get the outlook conduits .
I tried all the suggestions that were offered and gave up. But then out of pure craziness I loaded the treo 600 CD that came with my Treo 600 out of curiosity. It loaded and the MS Office 2003 conduits loaded nicely and the problem appears to be solved for now.
So I tested and it the Tungsten E Hotsync's feature all appear to be okay. I'm not sure if this is the best solution but it solved a very frustrating problem.
The version of Hotsync that loaded is 4.1.0.
Hope this helps.
Changing back to Palm Desktop Software from Outlook with Tungsten E
1 Place the Installation CD that came along with your handheld onto your cd-rom. Wait for it to load after which you’ll see a splash screen with different menus.
Note: If the cd does not automatically load, double click on my computer then click on the cd-rom drive icon and finally click on the first icon (looks like a cd) labeled ‘autorun’
2. Select ‘Install Microsoft Outlook Conduits’
3. Click on ‘Install’
4. Click on ‘Yes’
5. Click on ‘Yes”
6. Click on ‘Ok’
7. Click on ‘Back’
8. Click on ‘Exit’
you don't need pocketmirror for zire 72 because palm desktop have outlook conduits to handle outlook synching. inorder for you to sync using outlook you must have the outlook conduits installed which seems you have it already installed. you have to disable some older conduits inorder to avoid conflicts with the conduits. to do these follow these steps:
1. right click on the hotsync manager icon on your system tray
2. click on Custom...
3. select Date Book (Outlook)
4. click on Change...
5. select Do Nothing and set it to default
6. click Ok
7. repeats steps 3-6 for Address Book (Outlook), To Do List (Outlook) and Memo Pad (Outlook)
Inorder to sync your handheld with Outlook you must have outlook conduits installed. Follow these steps to have an outlook conduits installed.
1. Place the Desktop Installation & Software Essentials CD on your cd-rom drive. Wait for it to finish its autorun
2. At this point you'll be presented wth a flash window which contains certain options you can choose.
3. Click on "Change your synchronization method"
4. Click on "Use Microsoft Outlook to ...... "
5. Click on "Yes"
6. Click on "Done"
7. Restart your computer inorder to refresh the new settings.
You can now use Microsoft Outlook to synch your appointments, contacts etc..
If you have PocketMirror from Chapura (included with certain Palm handhelds), you can choose to install conduits that synchronize MS Outlook with the handheld applications Date Book, Address Book, To Do List, and Memo Pad. You can choose to synchronize these applications with either Palm Desktop or Microsoft Outlook, but not both.
If you want to synchronize with Microsoft Outlook, DO NOT install Palm Desktop from the Web. Instead, run the Palm Desktop installer from the CD that came with your handheld and select the option "Synchronize with Microsoft Outlook" when the choice appears. Visit www.PocketMirror.com for more information about Chapura(R) PocketMirror.