I went to a sight that tested my computers uplading setting and it told me 150. Im trying to run a magic jack and talk on the phone on the computer. magic jack personel says that their upload is 250 and thats why the phone is staticy and isnt working well. she sd i needed to change my computers upload settings to 250 and it should work properly. can u tell me how to change these settings? ur co worker recommended u his name started w/p but am not sure exACTly how to spell it.ty
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Magic Jack stores your messages as an AUDIO FIle. You play them back via Microsoft's player program. If your audio program is not working, then you can not play them back. Check and see if you can play a music file from the sample music folder. It works OK, then Windows Audio is fine. If not you may have turned off the Audio. Look to the lower right side of the computer screen and you will see a small speaker. Left click and see if the VOLUME is set to an audible pitch suitable to you. Check the master control and make certain it is on, set to the type of speakers you use. If all the settings are correct and the sound level is OK, then you should be able to play back your messages. Write back if you still have the same problem.
i have magic jack too. something like that happened to me and i went to the http://www.magicjack.com/6/index.asp website, and you might have to sign into your magic jack account with the phone number or email and your password and i think you can download the software from there. or you can chat live with someone on the site too. hope this helps :)
I had this problem too, only there was zero sound, even when I clicked Test. I know the jack is good because it's never done any of the typical crackling or cutting out when the cord is pulled in a certain direction, etc. - I knew it had to be a setting of some kind. So here's how I solved this particular problem:
[N.B. - This is in Windows 7 OS] I went into Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Sound -> Manage Audio Devices.
In the popup window's Playback tab (which comes up by default,) I right-clicked on Headphones, then clicked Properties. The new popup window's General tab comes up as default; I clicked on the Levels tab, where there's a slider control for headphone volume. For whatever reason, this was set to 0. I changed it to 100 and I immediately got sound. 'Clicked OK, and exited Control Panel. .
Can be several things. All I can suggest is that you have to eliminate as many variables as possible. I had much the same problems and now my install is solid (see my setup below).
1. What type of phone are you using? I first tried a cheap wired set with a 20 foot phone cable. This caused several calling and receiving problems. Get a decent quality phone (wireless or wired) and keep the cable no longer than 6 ft.
2. What else is running on the PC? try killing everything else to see if it is a resource issue. If works, start your other things one at a time to see what the conflict is.
3. Is your internet connection working well? Get into your router if you can and check status. If you have doubts, have your ISP check it out and tell them you are doing VOIP. Web surfing is is far more forgiving the VOIP. You, of course, need a high speed link for any VOIP to work reliably.
4. Check with Magic Jack on the web to see if your unit needs a firmware upgrade. Not sure when you got yours but they have had a few issues so it may be worth a shot.
My set-up so you have a reference:
-Magic Jack at latest revision -XP home, SP3 with 512mb of ram and running Magicjack + zonealarm firewall. (I bought a used Dell Desktop for $150.00 off eBay and it runs 24x7 for MagicJack) -Two Vtech wireless phone sets (WalMart) hooked up with a home-made "y" cable that is 5 ft. long. Gives me 4 wireless phones. I do not use the PC with a headset so don't know about this functionality. -DSL: 608 up speed and 3553 down, link status constant "up" and "0" errors. Also ran at lower DSL speeds without issue but link status (up) and errors (zero) are CRITICAL. - I forwarded my Magic Jack number to my DSL required land-line. Works great and I can use my existing caller ID, answering machine and call blocking gizmos without a problem.
Hope this at least gives you a reference. I just renewed for five additional years of Magic Jack and it works as well as my land-line ever did
After 2 days of frustration I was able to solve this by the following:
1. Click Start
2. right click my computer and select properties
3. select hardware then Device Manger
4. click + DVD/CD-ROM Drives
5. right click Tiger Jet CD-ROM USB Drive then Uninstall
6. unplug Magic Jack wait 15 secs
7. Plug back in and let device re-install, MJ may start here, if not...
8. Click Magic Jack Icon, program should start
I have to do this everytime I unplug or restart my computer. I don't know exactly why it hangs like this but this procedure works for me everytime. Good Luck