Doesn't power up, test and reset buttons don't help.
Using heavy duty extension cord,does it have to be plugged inj
First, you want to make sure that you have power at the plug that you are using for your air conditioner. You can test it with a voltage meter or simply plug something else into the same outlet (if the receptacle is 220V, you will need to measure it with a voltage meter). If it works, you know you have power to the air conditioner. If it doesn't work, you'll need to check your fuse panel for any blown fuses or your circuit breaker box for any tripped circuit breakers.
Air Conditioner Control
If you have power, it could be one of several problems that are keeping it from running. Many times an air conditioner can't start the compressor if the amperage or voltage is too low. This can happen, especially if you run the unit from an extension cord or have something else that draws a lot of power on the same line. The compressor initially takes a lot of power to start.
Air Conditioner Switch
If you hear any odd noises coming from the unit, it could be the compressor trying to start, but unable to do so. Another part that causes odd noises is the overload/relay. This causes a click-buzz-click sound near the compressor. This is the overload/relay working, and it protects the compressor from damage by cutting power to it if there's a problem. If you hear this, the compressor has power, and it means something is wrong with the compressor. If the compressor is the cause of the problem, you'll need to contact a professional appliance repair person.
Air Conditioner Thermostat
Also, any of the control components could be the cause of your problem. These include the control board, the selector switch, and thermostat. The control board controls the overall operation of an air conditioner, and if it is bad, it may prevent the unit from operating. The selector switch is used to adjust the settings that you want on your air conditioner. The thermostat controls the temperature. In addition, the wiring between any of these components could be to blame.
Sometimes the plug for the unit gets burned on the end that goes into the outlet, or the outlet itself gets scorched. This will reduce the contact points and may not allow any or enough power through to operate the unit. If this is the case, you need to replace the plug and outlet as it is also a fire hazard. You may want to call a professional electrician for this job.
Jun 23, 2011 |
Haier Heating & Cooling