My HT1000 won't charge. All I get is a blinking red light on the charger base. It doesn't matter if the radio is on or off while on the charger, it still blinks red and does not charge it at all? Am I doing something wrong?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Radio won't charge!
I don't know that I have your solution, but I do have a few troubleshooting tips.
Flashing typically means: your battery is possibly old, bad or is not making good contact. Clean your battery contacts with a pencil eraser to ensure they are making good contact with the charger. Also check your charger contact to see that they are free of debris. They can also be carefully cleaned with an eraser. (Do not use any type of solvents on either contacts.)
Second, check the date code on your battery. It is 3 or 4 digit number on the label. Batteries last approx. 18-24 months before starting to fail. Here is how to read the code: 835 would be 2008 the 35th week. If the battery is more than 2 years old, you should consider replacing it.
It is wise to have your radio turned off while on the charger. You can cause harm to the radio if you inadvertently press the PTT while the radio is on the charger. Plus, your radio will never fully charge if left on.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If the radio will charge on one charger and not the other, the one with the blinking light is bad or has a dirty or defective battery contact. Check your charger for debris and clean your battery contacts with a pencil eraser and try charging again. If this fails, replace your charger.
1) Hand oil can cause a film on your battery contacts. Clean your battery contacts on both the radio and the charger with a pencil eraser and try seating the radio/battery on the charger again. Be certain the radio is turned off.
2) It is possible your battery is too low to charge. A form of jump starting would be to let the battery set on the charger for more than 3 hours to see if the light problem clears.
3) It is possible you have a bad or shorted battery. Try another known good battery on the charger to see if the charger reacts correctly with a solid red light at the beginning of a normal charge cycle.
To answer your questions:
1) The light on the charger should come on and stay on, when a radio or a battery is charging. It is not likely all the chargers would go bad at the same time. With this in mind, check your charge contacts on ther radio and the charger. Clean with a pencil eraser if needed. Try charging a battery outside of the radio (if you have a drop-in base), just to see if you get a constant red light on the charger. If not, your charger or possibly the battery is bad.
2) If you have a voltmeter you can check for existing charge in the battery. It will not tell you charging capacity, but it will tell you if it is flat dead or not. Check the date code on the battery. It is a 4-digit number on the back portion of the label in the white area. It will read as 1121, 11 is the year, 21 the week of the year. NiMH batteries have a 2 year life expectancy. And as you indicated, charging with the radio turned on, will age the batteries quickly. It is not good to leave the batteries on a charger with the radio turned on, or for extended periods of time, such as weeks or months. A few days won't hurt occasionally.
3) Lastly, your radios may need serviced. You could have charge/accessory jacks which are worn out, if you are using the wall plug style charger only, and do not have a drop-in base. If they have been anywhere moist they could have grown corrosion and be non-repairable. However, if they are dry and otherwise free of defect they should be repairable. (Current expected flat rate repair is $69 at a dealer who works on this model.)
You do not mention which model of Motorola radio you are charging, so this will be basic information: Typically if a charger blinks red when the battery is initially put on the charger, you either have:
1) Dirt contacts. Solution: Clean with pencil eraser, both radio and charger contacts.
2) Shorted or bad battery. Solution: Replace the battery.
3) A bad charger. Replace charger.
Some simple troubleshooting might determine your problem. Try the battery on a different charger and see if you get the same blinking light. If so, you have a battery issue. If the problem disappears when you place it on the known good charger, then you know you have a charger issue.
It depends on the type of charger, a rapid-charger would charge a battery in one hour or less and the green light would come on when battery fully charged. A slow charger will take up to 16 hours to charge a battery and has red light only.
You may have a bad battery, or even dirty battery contacts. A few troubleshooting ideas include:
1) Swap the battery to another known good CLS1110 radio and see if the other radio has the same problem when placed on the charger. If so, you have a bad battery. This type of battery typically lasts approx. 18-24 months before needing replaced.
2) If swapping the battery proves to be successful, check the battery contacts on the affected radio for debris, scum or dirt. Clean the contacts on the charger and the radio with a pencil eraser if needed. (The fact you have to readjust the walkie in the charger indicates you might have problems with the contacts.)
3) Try the battery from the known good radio in the affected radio, if the battery charges correctly, you know the radio is fine. If the charger blinks with the known good battery, then you know you have a radio problem.
If you are referring to a flashing yellow light on the charging base, this is an error code. Either the 1) battery is bad, 2) not making good contact in the charger, or 3) very very low on charge. The solution for this set of problems is as follows: 1) have the company you purchased them from replace them, 2) clean your contacts with a pencil eraser, 3) leave the battery on the charger with the yellow light flashing for an hour or two. If the battery is just very low on a charge, it will come back to life and the light will change to be constant. If the battery is bad or shorted out, the light will continue to flash and you will need to get with the vendor you purchased the batteries from.
Other things which come to mind are compatibility issues such as you are using a different battery chemistry than you had before. NiCd batteries can charge on either of the two chargers available for the P110 (slow rate or fast rate). However, NiMH and Li-Ion batteries require a fast rate charger.
If you are referring to a yellow blinking light on the radio while it is in the charger. You need to shut your radio off. Radios should always be turned off when charging. If the radio is left on you will never have a full charge. Also, if you inadvertently press the PTT while the radio is turned on, while on a charger, you can cause damage to the radio.
FYI: There is no light to show "out of range" on the radio, unless you are possibly using a trunking or repeater system. A blinking light on your radio indicates the radio is turned on and/or there is traffic on your frequency. Your charger base light can be red, yellow or green. This indicates the charge cycle status. Flashing most always means some type of error.
It is either defective, or it has something touching one of the contacts causing a short. It would be best to replace the charger. Typically they are somewhat like a light bulb, they will burn out over time and need replaced.