Question about Grilling

2 Answers

Removing old regulator

Need to replace regulator but cannot remove old one.

Posted by on

  • Shane Hays May 11, 2010

    Where is the regulator? Is it on the hose or on the manifold?



2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 3 Answers

I presume you mean on a Q-series grill.
DIsconnect the hose or can.
remove the burner tube by removing the hex bolt holding it down to the bos next to the igniter and lifting that end and sliding the mixer tube out and away from the regulator.
Then pull the gas nob off. It takes a little force, but can be done. That exposes a brass nut that holds the regulator to the mounting plate. It has normal right-hand threads, so back it right off. Then, you can take the regulator/valve assembly right out the back of the mounting plate. The regulator and valve are connected with normal right-hand threads and come right apart. Use teflon tape when reassembling, and that brass nut goes cylinder-side (it's not a plain hex).

Posted on Feb 21, 2009

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 2 Answers

The above solution over complicates the problem.
Where the regulator goes into the gas tube, see if there is a retaining clip - a simple U shaped wire with curls at each end. Pop it off with a screwdriver or needle-nose pliers if trying to remove it - if the clip is missing you can easily bend one of the larger types of paper clips open straight, then make a U shaped clip of your own out of a 3 inch piece of the paper clip, bend it by using the gas tube as your bending device so it's the correct size, then curl the ends of the U shaped paper clip piece inward just a little bit, and with the regulator in place, you will see a channel/groove in the end of the regulator where it goes into the tube at the very end of the regulator. push the new paper clip U shaped device over the gas tube that the ends slip into the openings in the end of the gas tube as it exits the bbq, and you now have a new retaining clip that will hold the regulator in place but allow it to freely spin around wherever you want the propane take to lie except up where the "go anywhere bbq" handles are. I just totally restored one and made my own parts. My ignitor wire was broken just outside of the bbq but there was enough "stub" coming out of the porcelain like insulator. I bent them so that they were touching well, then soldered them together, then took a 3 inch piece of easily bendable copper wire and wrapped around this weak joint a few times, then twisted it so that it would firmly stay in place, then soldered this new copper wire over my previously soldered "patch" of the two parts of the ignitor wire. You can easily pull the ignitor wire where it enters the bbq with pliers in or out or completely remove it like I did and I inserted a straighted large/thicker stype paper clips into the insulator hole, bent the inside portion at a 45 degree angle until it was 1/2" from the gas tube so I get a great spark, then soldered the other end to the stub I had coming out of the actual spark making part. I covered all soldered connections with liquid black electrical tape painted on (it's like liquid tar) - now my ignitor is just as strong as a new one but didn't cost anything but the cost of the liquid solder available at any Radio Shack. This da*n website won't let me upload pictures to show you - the FixYa website needs fixing itself cuz the programmer must be a ***** or else I could show you detailed close up pix of the area.

Posted on Nov 09, 2011


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

The glass of the driver not move up & down

if it is a power window, first look in your manual and find the fuses that control the window. if the fuses are good, then you will need to replace the window regulator, inside the door, it will require removing the door panel , you will also need to try to keep the window closed while removing the old regulator, go to and look up your cars information to find the replacement ,I found this site has the cheapest prices and best quality .

Nov 22, 2014 | 2000 Peugeot 306

3 Answers

Window wont go up and down

What you will need is a replacement Window Regulator. You should be able to find one online for around $50.00. Make sure you Order the correct one. Drivers Side Front..... Passenger Side Rear... Each would be different. Removing the inner door panel. Check for videos on Youtube for your model and year to watch step by step instructions. On a scale of 1 to 5 this would be 3 to replace. Removing the regulator and getting the new one into place can be tricky. Just take your time and pay attention to how you remove the old one and what bolts and screws go where.

Aug 18, 2014 | 2000 Buick LeSabre

1 Answer

How do i replace driverside manual window regulator on my 93 nissan D21 pickup

get the new regulator and hold it up against the stripped out door panel and you should see how it is fitted , there may be some rivets that will need drilling out to remove old regulator

Jul 05, 2014 | Nissan Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Replace electric window motor

Not much to your question, or what you need to know
You have to figure out how to remove the inner door panel
Then figure out how to remove the window regulator,if you find
it broken
Then if the motor or regulator needs to be replaced-- after testing
the motor,you have to remove the motor, in some cases & put
on the new regulator, or just install a new motor to old regulator
This is if those two items are the problem,could be a bad switch

Jul 16, 2013 | 1996 Lincoln Continental

1 Answer

How do i install a fuel pressure regulator on a chevy impala?

You will need a torx bit, either a t35 or a t40 I believe. You will also need a 1" or a 1 1/16" The pressure regulator can be removed without removing the throttle body but you would need to have some experience replacing them to figure it out. First remove the throttle body from the intake plenum. Using the 1 inch wrench loosen the nut that holds the fuel line to the lower part of the fuel pressure emulator. Use the torx bit to remove the bolt that holds the regulator to the fuel rail. Place a rag around the regulator to catch and fuel that may spray and pull the reegulator out of the fuel rail then pull up on the regulator to remove to from the fuel line. If you have a 3.8 Liter than all you will need is a snap ring plier. Remove the plastic cover from the top of the engine, remove the snap ring that holds the regulator in place. Pull out the regulator. Be prepared for fuel to spray or spill. Make sure all the parts come out with the old regulator. Compare the old and new one to make sure they look identical. The screen and small oreng like to stick in the fuel rail. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Thank you for using!

Mar 09, 2012 | 2003 Chevrolet Impala

1 Answer

Need Instructions on replacing fuel regulator on 1987 chevys10 pick up 2.8

Fuel Pressure Regulator - REMOVAL & INSTALLATION(see Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6)
  1. Relieve fuel system pressure. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Clean dirt and grease from the regulator retaining ring.
  3. If equipped with a bolt on-type pressure regulator, remove the fuel return line from the return tube by squeezing the tab and pulling it off.
  4. Disconnect the vacuum line from the regulator.
  5. If equipped with a bolt on-type regulator, perform the following:
    1. Remove the regulator attaching bolt(s)/screw(s) from the bracket.
Image LINK

Fig. 1: Remove the 2 fuel pressure regulator-to-rail attaching bolts (fuel rail removed from vehicle)

  1. If equipped with a snapring-type regulator, perform the following:
    1. Remove the snapring from the regulator.
  2. Wrap a towel around the regulator to catch any fuel that may escape. Remove the regulator from the fuel rail using a twisting and pulling motion.
Image LINK

Fig. 2: ... then remove the regulator by using a twisting and pulling motion
  1. If equipped with a bolt on-type pressure regulator, disconnect the fuel return tube assembly from the pressure regulator.
  2. Cover all openings with masking tape to prevent dirt entry. If the regulator is being reused, inspect the filter screen, if equipped, for contamination. If contamination exists, replace the filter screen


Image LINK

Fig. 3: Exploded view of the regulator mounting on the fuel rail - VIN K engine shown


Image LINK
Fig. 4: Some regulators, such as this 1995 VIN L, are secured with a mounting bolt
  1. If further disassembly is necessary, perform the following:
    1. Remove the small regulator O-ring.
    2. Remove the regulator filter screen.
    3. Remove the large regulator O-ring.
    4. Remove the O-ring back-up.


Image LINK

Fig. 5: Exploded view of the regulator housing (1), small O-ring (2), filter screen (3), large O-ring (4), O-ring back-up (5), regulator (6) and snapring (7)To install:
  1. If the regulator was disassembled, perform the following:
Lubricate all O-rings with clean engine oil prior to assembly.
    1. Install a new regulator O-ring back-up and large O-ring.
    2. Install the regulator filter screen.
    3. Install the small regulator O-ring.

  1. If the regulator is not being replaced with a new one, lubricate new O-rings with clean engine oil, then position them on the old regulator.

Image LINK

Fig. 6: If the regulator is not being replaced, remove and discard the old O-rings
  1. If necessary, connect the fuel return tube to the pressure regulator and secure with the retaining nut. Tighten the nut to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
  2. Install the regulator into the regulator housing and seat with even pressure.
    1. Install the snapring or retaining bolt(s)/screw(s), as applicable.
  3. Attach the vacuum line to the regulator.
  4. If removed, connect the fuel return tube to the pressure regulator.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Turn the ignition switch ON and OFF to allow fuel pressure back into system. Check for leaks.
Hope helps.

Oct 01, 2011 | 1987 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup

1 Answer

Glass fell 99 olds 2 door left side...regulator needs to be replaced in Riverside CA area

glass fell down in door bolt to equalizer arm to regulator fell out of place missing or window regulator have to remove door trim panel. you need a haynes repair manual to show you how to remove door trim panel. and door panel screws location to door need see screws location to remove power windows and door lock will need door panel trim removal tool.

Jun 06, 2011 | 1999 Oldsmobile Alero

1 Answer

The passenger side pwr window does not go up or down.sounds like motor is running. Just before it stopped, it went up when pwr button was pushed for it to go down. What might be the problem? I was told...

If you can hear the motor (regulator) running and the window is not moving up or down then it sounds like you need to replace the regulator, there is a plastic piece on the regulatore which holds the window on track, when this breaks the window will not stay in track thus not going up or down. Unfortunately you have to replace the entire regualtor for plastic piece, about $100 at Oreily's or Autozone. You have to remove the door panel, disconnect the power to regulator and retaining pins or screws, pull the regulator through the large hole in the door frame, replace with new regulator in reverse order. Careful, secure window with duct tape in the up position before removing the old regulator (manually push the window up with your hands first)

Let me know if this helps

Aug 15, 2010 | 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

1 Answer

I have an older Craftsman Air Compressor and the knob valve to reg the pressure seems to not be working. Can I replace it?

It is getting increasingly more difficult to obtain replacement parts for older compressors. If your regulator failed at a fairly high pressure adjustment, say around 100-120 lbs, you could just leave the old regulator in place and add a regulator when needed to one of the quick connects. Purchase a generic pressure regulator from Lowes and add quick fittings to easily connect the regulator or remove when not needed. You could also just remove the old regulator and work-in a new generic regulator in its place. Generic regulators sell for $20 - $40. Good luck with your repair.

Aug 06, 2010 | Craftsman Air Tools & Compressors

1 Answer

Passenger window is off track and wont come up, cable look to be off.

Your power window regulator is broken, you need to replace it by removing the door panel, loosen and remove the bolts to the window glass, removing the power window motor, and than removing the regulator.

Jun 12, 2010 | 2002 Honda Odyssey

Not finding what you are looking for?
Grilling Logo

Related Topics:

1,077 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Grilling Experts

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

3238 Answers

Gary Kenady
Gary Kenady

Level 2 Expert

140 Answers

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8220 Answers

Are you a Grilling Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides