Worked fine yesterday am, clock etc. still operational...the cleaning lady gave it a good scour yesterday pm and now nothing heats up. It seems to me my folks had this happen after using some particular cleaning solution. Does that add up?
I have the same problem and have figured out the following:
Most likely it is the magnetron - common problem for GE's. Replacement part list price is around $180 but you can find on ebay for about $80. Replacement is "doable" but tricky because the oven needs to be removed to replace the part. The GE replacement kit part # for magnetron and stirrer is WB27X10489. Expect a service tec to charge at least $200-$225 to make the repair so complete replacement of microwave might make more sennse...unfortunately.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
This just happened to ours as well. Apparently the magnetron (device that creates radio waves that heat the food) is broken. I'm trying to pry the darn thing out of our kitchen now so I can replace the magnetron. Look for this part WB27X10489 on Google. I found it on ebay for $65. If it fixes the problem I'll post again.
What you said about the the clock leads me to suggest that you first unplug it for a few minutes then plug it back in. It may just need a good reset.
If you don't have your owner's manual you can download one here:
The mention of odor concerns me. It may just be a bit of food or grease on the waveguide cover, which is a small sheet or panel on the wall or ceiling of the cooking cavity, but it may indicate the failure of a part in the high voltage section.
You may have an intermittent door switch. You can see some of my other responses for info on how to get our important text file that helps you diagnose and repair door switches and gives important safety tips.