Question about Refrigerators

1 Answer

WHIRLPOOL SIDE BY SIDE

I HAVE A WHIRLPOOL SIDE BY SIDE MODEL NO# GED22DQXDW00. I RECENTLY PLUGGED IT IN AND A CONSTANT BURNING SMELL PERSISTS FROM THE MOTOR/ COMPRESSOR. THE UNIT IS WORKING WELL BUT THE CONSTANT BURNING SMELL IS A CONCERN.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Scholar:

    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

    Hot-Shot:

    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 62 Answers

CHECK THE OVERLOAD/RELAY ON THE COMPRESSOR. THE RELAY COMPONET IS BREAKING DOWN AND CARBONIZING CAUSING A BURNING SMELL. THE PART WILL SOON STOP WORKING AND THE COMPRSOOR WILL NOT RUN. IT WOULD BE WISE TO REPLACE THAT PART ASAP.

Posted on Aug 28, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

Whirlpool SXS.....1. compressor cooling fan quit so fridge and freezer stopped working. 2. replaced cooling fan and fridge and freezer working again. 3. Now the fridge and freezer works but runs nonst


Check to see if the sensor in the freezer compartment is encased in ice. If so, do a complete defrost and restart the unit. Another possibility is a bad thermostat and/or sensor.

Jul 25, 2012 | Whirlpool Refrigerators

1 Answer

My whirlpool ED5FHEX all of a sudden sounds like a motor reving from below in the back. It gets pretty loud. Sometimes I unplug the refrigerator and wait several minutes before plugging it back in and the...


If the shock absorbers under the compressor are damaged or loose there can be a lot of different noises but I have never heard it referred to as a motor racing.

A motor racing sound would be more like a fan motor going berserk and not keeping a constant speed. Since the compressor fan is located in the area of the sound you might want to take a look at it and see if it is keeping a constant speed.

Aug 16, 2011 | Whirlpool ED5FHEXMQ Side by Side...

1 Answer

Burning smell behind refregratot. After fan trggered there is burning smell like rubber burning.


First , clean the coils under the front of the refrig , with a vac . Then pull the refrig out and remove the back panel and check that the fan there in working . If not , remove any obstruction or replace the motor ( pt # 4387244 ) . If the fan IS working , then replace the overload/relay , which is plugged onto the side of the compressor ( pt # 8201786 (comes with instructions )) . Both are easily replaceable and will save you hundreds in repair costs . Note : Dirty condensor coils ( bottom front ) can cause the overload/relay to go out .

Aug 31, 2010 | Whirlpool Gold White-on-White 21.9 cu. ft....

1 Answer

Fridge made a burning smell, and now makes a Tick, Fan runs on...


Sounds like the start relay has become bad/defective and it should be unplugged until we can have a look at it closer to see if possibly something other than the start relay is the reason for causing this failure. Depending on your model number a defective defrost control board or fan could start this cycle of damage to the compressor start relay and compressor if not unplugged until repaired. Please see if you can find the model number and I will be able to tell you more about the cause and assist you in the repair, Thanks, Sea Breeze

Apr 25, 2010 | KitchenAid KSRA22CN Side by Side...

1 Answer

Bottom of refrigerator sudenly emit a burning smell near compressor. remove dust. clicking sound on off at short intervals. compressor running on off. smell seem to die down. what's the problem. my rf is...


Relay burned up. Replace it. Compressor will not run until you do so, so unplug ref. I cannot see your reply due to some tech issue w/ the site, so it may be a day or so before I can reply again. Please leave feedback for me if appropriate. Thanks

Nov 28, 2008 | Whirlpool Refrigerators

1 Answer

Smell electircal burning


The Starter Relay consists of various parts depending on the make and model of your unit. Most larger Refrigerators have these 3 components: The relay itself, the Overload, and a capacitor. If you replace the Relay and if another component is bad then you would still have a problem. A service technician could test each component individually. The first move I would make is to use an Amprobe electricians meter and check the amperage that the compressor is pulling. If the compressor is VERY HOT to the touch and pulling a lot of amperage current, than you'd need to have the compressor replaced. THis is usually the case if the unit is approx 10 years give or take. This is a very expensive fix...usually around $500 or more so it's probably worth buying a new Refrigerator if that's the case.

Nov 17, 2008 | Whirlpool Gold White-on-White 21.9 cu. ft....

1 Answer

Smells like burned


Since power outages aren't always polite and absolute, your fridge may have been subjected to low line voltages for an extended time and gee, Whirlpool still hasn't figured out how to protect their product from this kind of damage. We lost one the same way years ago in CA; we came home after being gone for hours, smelled the fridge, checked the line voltage which was wandering around 25 volts +- ~2 volts. Enough to burn the compressor windings but not enough to start it.
In that case, the electric company paid for the compressor replacement on our two-year-old Whirlpool. If you can dig up anyone who was noting the line voltage, maybe you can file a claim with your utility.  

Sep 23, 2008 | Whirlpool GS6NBEXR Side by Side...

3 Answers

Whirlpool side-by-side melted relay.


Maytag (owned by Whirlpool since 2005) has issued a recall on the compressor relay due to fires. Whirlpool brands are not listed in the recall but it looks like they should be. The problem goes back to Jan 01 according to the Consumer Product Safety Comission.

Feb 14, 2008 | Whirlpool Gold White-on-White 21.9 cu. ft....

2 Answers

Whirlpool GC5SHEXN Side by Side Refrigerator burning smell


How long had it been plugged in when you started to smell the burn. What kind of burn do you smell, is it an electrical burning smell or a smoldering dust burning smell.
supertechks

Nov 21, 2007 | Whirlpool GC5SHEXN Side by Side...

1 Answer

Electrical smell


The most common cause of electrical smell on these units is from the compressor start relay. Get behind the fridge and remove the cardboard cover at the bottom. The relay plugs onto the compressor. See if the smell is stronger there. Also listen for it to try and start the compressor. If it just humms and clicks off, the relay is probably shorted out and needs replacing. Do not let anyone put a "fit all" relay on it, some of them will work ok for a while but cause a compressor failure a few months down the road.

If the relay is ok, check the icemaker area. A burned icemaker module will sometimes give off a foul odor.
Post back if you have any questions.
Thanks/Mike

Nov 06, 2007 | Whirlpool ED0GTQXMQ Side by Side...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Refrigerators Logo

Related Topics:

323 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Refrigerators Experts

John Tripp
John Tripp

Level 3 Expert

4636 Answers

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8147 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Are you a Refrigerator Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...