Assuming that everything looks like it should work, that the volume is up sufficiently and the mute is off, and that any power section fuses are set and/or not burned out and that the units 'warm up' temperature feels the same. I would try a process of elimination something like this:
* Always turn the unit of and unplug it everytime you attach/detach speaker wiring *
Unplug all sources (DVD, CD, DVR etc) and use only the FM section as as source:
- Does the unit have an indicator that is labeled overload or protect or something like that? If so, then unplug/disconnect and inspect the wiring on the speaker terminals. Ensure that if they are bare wires, there are no strands from different wires contacting each other.
- Does the unit have a speaker have an A/B switch? If so, ensure that your speakers are plugged into the correct terminals
- Does the unit have earphone plugs? If so, try using those . . . if you don't have any earphones go and purchase a cheap pair . . .make sure you have the proper plug - 1/4" stereo?
- Do you know for a fact that your speakers work? Beg, buy or borrow a pair of cheap of speakers and try them.
- Try using different speaker wire . . . if you have a fancy monster or vampire wire wiring set up, then go to RS and buy some in-expensive speaker wire (not too thin!) and see if anything changes.
- Unplug everything from the unit and then hook up one and only one speaker and see what happens. Move the speaker wiring from one set to another, see if there is any behavior change . . .
If after all this and no joy, then time to take it to be serviced.
The Poodle Guy!