My Ge Spacesaver which is a year old has a problem. The inside light and the Magnetron cooling fan runs continous by itself when the microwave is in the off setting or at rest. Opening the door stops the fan. I can program the microwave to cook and it works fine but the fan never shuts off. My flow chart for troubleshooting says it the HV transformer. I'm not sure that is the problem??
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: Magnetron cooling fan
I just had one today that was doing exactly what you said, but no small relays were closed. Traced it to a turntable motor that worked fine but some liquid seeped into it so it shorted coil to ground. Was hot and smelled burned too.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If the microwave oven is 10 years old then it is time to consider a new unit, by your description it is going into cascade failure where different parts have stopped working, the buzzing sound is the magnetron warning you, it is about to fail. The fans job is to keep the magnetron cool while it is running.
your oven shut down because the magnetron got too hot (has a resetting thermal switch) .. it needs a constant and high flow rate of cooling air .. there is a fan that blows air over the magnetron fins ... sometimes the plastic frame that holds the fan becomes warped or broken .. the fan then doesn't deliver enough air to where its needed ... the squeaking noise however may indicate that the fan blade is either hitting the frame or the bearings in the fan motor need lubricated ... the fan is most likely the problem .. you can replace it or Lube it and repair any broken mounts .. make sure the fan turns freely and is aimed correctly .. use a light machine oil (intended for very small motors) or sewing machine oil .. not wd40 or oil with teflon .. your magnetron will be damaged if it continues to overheat .. you can gain access to the fan by removing the cover but do so only with the power disconnected and taped so no one can plug it in while you are working .. when plugged in there is potentially deadly voltage and current available inside .. . there are indeed two fans .. the vent fan and the magnetron cooling fan .. the loud laboring noise often happens if the magnetron is shorted or if the high voltage diode or voltage doubler capacitor is shorted ... but since your machine is still working until it gets hot i suspect those are not he problem yet but may be eventually damaged without cooling air flow .. that model GE did have problems with the fan mount and that in turn damaged some magnetrons ... the lube in the fan bearings generally is reliable up to 5 years depending on use .so that could be the problem as well
If it's less than one year old, it would be fully covered under warranty and I'd suggest contacting GE Customer Service hereto get it fixed free.
If it's the magnetron and it's outside the 1-year labor warranty, but within the 5-year magnetron warranty, the labor to
replace the magnetron would probably run about $50-75, which can instead be
used toward a new oven.
If you or someone you know might want to replace the magnetron, and it's within the 5-year magnetron warranty, GE will send you one free. Call them at
888-239-6832 with your model, serial, and manufacturing date. Some info on troubleshooting:
When you hit "Start" to microwave, do
the inside light, cooling fan, and turntable
all come on?
If not, then you probably just have a bad door switch or door switch mount and should
see these files:
If the inside light, cooling fan, and
turntableare all coming on, then the problem
is in the high voltage section, and then the next questions arise:
Any unusual noises? Is it louder or quieter
We have a sound clip of what a
microwave should sound like when the cooling fan and high voltage section are
A loud buzz, hum, or groan is usually a shorted high voltage rectifier diode,
but a sound like gurgling into an empty
coffee mug is one symptom of a failed magnetron, and yet the mag can be bad
without that sound.
If there's no unusual noise, it may just be a bad connection at the magnetron.
Here are some links you or someone you know can use (in order given) for high
voltage section test help, but read the safety warnings first:
(if it is NOT shorted or burned looking, it's probably fine)
I have an over the oven microwave that blew a magnetron after 4 years. Could be the same thing. It was out of warranty for the free labor, so I took it apart (I'm kind of a geek) and found out the magnetron was gone. Shortening the story: I bought a new magnetron from an online place and replaced it and it works fine. If you have someone replace your magnetron, see if you can get it for free-they have a long warranty on the magnetron ($150 part) and at 5 years, you probably qualify. Rich
Q - My microwave seems to shut off every once in a while, what might be wrong? A - Make sure you hear the fan is still operating in your microwave. Next is to make sure the air intake grill on your microwave is not plugged up with air borne dust and dirt. Q - The fan in my microwave oven is not running will this hurt my microwave? A - YES, the fan cools the magnetron and electronics, take the microwave in for service, most fans are not too expensive to replace. Q - My microwave blows the fuse inside itself as soon as I push the start button. A - Usually a shorted high voltage capacitor...see components section.
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
It's most likely a bad high-voltage transformer or magnetron, but it's hard to say without being able to check it.
If it will run without blowing the fuse, you may be able to do a test. This should only be performed by someone observing safety warnings mentioned at the link above.
Put about 2 cups in a microwave-safe container inside the cavity. Run the oven for about 3 minutes, or until it blows the fuse.
Then unplug the oven from the wall, and carefully feel the top of the high-voltage transformer and inside or near the finned area of the magnetron to see if either gets really hot. If one does, it's the likeliest suspect.
When the high-voltage transformer fails, it often gets discolored and smokes, but not always. You can look for that, too.
It's very important that the internal cooling fan is running, and that the air vents are not blocked opr plugged.