Germany calling. No clue what I'm doing here, strange world to me
Hi, I got exactly the same problem. Did you get any solution?
Comment by cmoisan, posted on Jul 27, 2008
Hello! I had to restore windows XP to what it was at the initial installation. So I backed up my entire computer using my Maxtor external hard drive 300GB. However, after following the directions, Retrospect did not list any restore points for me to recover my data from the Maxtor. I look at my back-up drive and I see the data there ... but the newly installed retrospect does not recognize the list.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Macs are exceptionally good machines, if you are still under warranty you can get free support from apple. However at times the apple machines behave very strangely and it is very hard to diagnose the exact reasons for the problem. There is a software called Onyx; it will search for the programs that are slowing down your mac and then it will suggest you fixes and repairs for the problem. Download it here : http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html Also the problem can be a fragmented hard drive in that case you can utilize the below program to defrag your apple drives. Download it here :http://www.ehow.com/how_2091895_defrag-mac-hard-drive.html If you can still connect your external hard drive to your iMac then http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/partitioning_tiger.html follow this link to format your drive using your mac. If you can't connect to your external drive from your mac; and if you have access to a pc then you can use the ubuntu live cd and use the gparted software in the Ubuntu distribution to format your external drive to hfs volume. Hope this will help you solve your problem. Best Regards NextDoorNerd
If the format is not recognized it generally means the drive is corrupted or damaged. In either event if you have crucial data on the drive comment back here with your Country, State, City and I will point you in the direction of a pro who can help get your data back.
If it has no important data on the drive you can simply reformat it and continue using it.
The reason you cannot change a setting is , it isn't a setting at fault in most cases. Generally this happens either from disconnecting the drive or powering it down without properly ejecting the drive. The other cause is hardware failure, but except in a few % of cases that won't allow you to see the drive at all in My Computer.
Comment back if you need a pro, otherwise you should be able to simply reformat the drive and continue using it.
Your account has something called "account bug" You will need to reinstall MioNet on all computers, reset the My Book World, then attach it to your new MioNet account. You'll need to download the Blue-Ring My Book World version of MioNet here: http://www.MioNet.com/mbvista Then, to attach your My Book World to the new MioNet account (just select a new username when you re-install MioNet), follow these directions:
1. Turn off My Book World 2. Identify the reset button on the back of My Book World 3. Depress the reset button while restarting My Book World 4. Keep the reset button depressed for about 10 seconds after you see blue lights on My Book World
You should now be able to sign in to the Shared Storage Manager as admin/123456.
5. Please open your web browsers and enter (without the quotes) "http://<IP address of My Book World>" or "http://mybookworld" in the address bar. The Shared Storage Manager web page will appear. 6. Once you have accessed the Western Digital Shared Storage Manager please select "General Setup" then choose "WD Anywhere Access settings." Use the default username of "admin" and default password of "123456" (without the quotes). On the following page you will have three buttons to select, please click on the "Reset" button. This will return the MioNet software on My Book World to default settings. 7. From within the MioNet Client, go to File > Remove Computer. Locate the My Book World (WDStorage, MyBookWorld, or whatever you named it) and remove it. 8. If you do not see a new window from MioNet informing you that you have a storage device available, "Scan for Cameras and New Devices…" to detect the unit.
Take the drive to a pc store and ask the techs to move the HDD into a new shell and test it for you.
Most likely it's ok and you can just buy a new shell/enclosure for it.
If that doesn't work it may need the help of a recovery pro. If that's the case comment back here with your country/state/city and I'll pass on a recommendation for a nearby facility that can assist you in retrieving the files.
That is because the MyBook is set with a default IP address of 192.168.1.257. You will have to put a static IP address in that subnet range in order to be able to see the external drive. Hope this helps....
I just called WD tech. support. There is probably something worng with the networkcard. There is yet no solution or workarround available. They don't even know if there is a solution at all. I get a new one.
You need to format the drive first before you can use it. If you are using windows xp, right click on the drive E and then click on Format. You can put a check mark on the box next to quick format if you like it faster and then click on start.
Please leave me a comment after you did what I said.