Question about Toshiba Satellite A70 Notebook
I did a windows recovery using the recovery disk came with the laptop. Then when I tried to install a printer drive, I found that there is no DVD/CD-ROM icon in My Computer. I tried with the regedit fix, but it doesn't work.
Here are the facts I have:
1. In bios, under Boot session, DVD/CD-ROM is listed.
2. When I tried to run the recovery disk again, it always skip the DVD and boot from the hard disk. I did have the recovery disk in the DVD drive, and I set it boot with DVD/CD-ROM in the bios Boot session.
3. I ran the regedit fix several time but still I can't see the DVD icon under My Computer.
Does this mean there is a hardware problem with the DVD drive? Is there something else I should check before I replace the DVD drive? Thank you very much.
Hi, the error code that you have is a known issue from Microsoft that needs a registry tweaks. Error code means "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)" . You can click on this link for your reference http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us
To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
This will surely help you resolve your issue. Good Luck!!!
Posted on Sep 28, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 20, 2011 | Acer Aspire 5600 Series 5630-6951 Laptop
Jan 14, 2011 | Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 Notebook
Apr 27, 2010 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional With...
Apr 21, 2010 | Acer Aspire 4720 Notebook
Apr 08, 2010 | HP Compaq Presario V6000T PC Notebook
Nov 08, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop Midnight Blue
Aug 08, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Aug 26, 2008 | Toshiba Satellite A70 Notebook
Aug 14, 2008 | Toshiba Satellite 1115-S103 Notebook
Dec 31, 2007 | Toshiba Satellite A60 Notebook
120 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!