You can try this it some times works.
Super Canon User's method of resetting IP1600
1.Press Resume button hold for 1 - 2 minutes (count to 1 to 15-16)
2.Open the cover right away
3.Release Both cartridges out and then put cartridges them back again
4.Close The Cover
5.Turn Off Then Turn On again.
You can download the Resetter tools program from my website.
Click Link = http://www.4all2sell.com/reset-tools/ip1600st-RESETTER-TOOLS.zip
1. Download software for Canon iP1200, iP1600, 2200 Printers.
2. Unzip downloaded file by etc
3. Run GeneralTool.exe
4. Select the connected USB port number from USB PORT
5. Click LOCK RELEASE, and select the applicable model name in SET DESTINATION
6. In CLEAR WASTE INK COUNTER, select MAIN or PLATEN. The selected waste ink counter will be reset. MAIN resets the main waste ink counter, PLATEN resets the platen waste ink counter.
If both the main and platen waste ink absorbers are replaced, reset both the main and platen waste ink counters.
Free WinZip http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm
Please call back to vote
All the best: Pineworks