Question about Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Heater when I turn my thermostats on there is a burning smell ?

Posted by on

  • Anonymous Apr 10, 2009

    the delonghi gas heater doe not work

×

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Prodigy:

    An expert who has answered 500 questions.

  • Expert
  • 540 Answers

This should be normal for the first time every year as the dust collects in the heat chambers and airconditioning coils only for atleast 30-minutes and smell like dust..and not electrical wires..!

Posted on Sep 09, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a Honeywell Oil filled heater, HZ 680 series. When both switches are turned on, they light up but there is no heat. Also, a funny smell then the switches automatically turn off. Is there anything...


These heaters last about three years,and are throw aways,unless you have some in the ole shed like I do.Checking the switches is the first thing to do,remove them to see if they are burned up on the other side where the connection is.If they are,that could be the smell,or the thermostat is melted down,and smelling,again,throw away,,or save it,and buy a new one,and you will have parts for when it goes out,if the switches are melted down,a compatible switch,if found,can be replaced in the heater,but something made the switches melt down,most likely a heating element in the tanks,non replacable.

Jan 05, 2011 | Honeywell HZ-680 Oil Filled Radiator...

Tip

Sauna Heater


Oil and Gas Sauna Heaters

Oil and gas heaters are the least popular heaters used in saunas.
One reason is because they're relatively inefficient compared to the others.
Some people even complain about the odor associated with the burning fuel. If they're properly vented, oil and gas heaters should have little or no unpleasant smell

Electric Sauna Heaters

Electric heaters are the most popular used in saunas.
They're easy to control with user friendly touch pads that include a timer and thermostat, and light switch,
They're also efficient and cost just pocket change to operate.
Electric heaters have controls that include a timer, thermostat, and light switch.

Wood Burning Sauna Heaters

If you have a house in the country or easy access to fire wood, a wood burning heater is a great choice for a sauna.
A wood heater may also be a good choice if you have an outdoor sauna.
Wood burning heaters don

on Jan 08, 2011 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Light doesn't turn on, nor does it heat up once I turn it on. First time I used it this winter it worked but smelled like it was burning and then stopped working?


sounds like it faulted and burned out some wiring i wouldn't use i would get it looked at to make sure all ok as it may now be elecrically dangerous, if that burning smell, smelt like rubber i'd say definatly electrical but without seening it to hard to say

Nov 20, 2010 | Lakewood (5500) Oil Filled Radiator Heater

1 Answer

My heater was just installed and it smells like burned stuff. What should I do to make the smell wear out, do I leave it on with windows open?


Check the installation paperwork and see if it says anything about it. Heaters have been coated with oil in the heat exchanger to prevent rusting. Sometimes a heater will be produced in the year 2010 for example, but doesnt sell until 1 or 2 and maybe 3 years later after that. So it might sit in the warehouse for a long time. The oil will help the metal from corrision. The installer is suppose to tell you that when you first turn on the unit, it will smell like burning (oil). Open the doors and some windows until the smell goes away. (15 to 30 minutes) This is normal. Now if the smell wont go away maybe something fell inside and is burning!!! RuNNNN!!! no may have to open it up to check... rare case

Mar 25, 2010 | Williams 1403622 Gas Compact Heater

2 Answers

Burning Smell from Old Baseboard Heather All of a Sudden


If it was the first time started this season, then it was dust buildup burning off. If burning smell continues, call for service.

Dec 15, 2009 | Cadet Manufacturing 4F1000-8A Electric...

1 Answer

Smell of electrical burning.. no more heat in house!


First of all keep this in mind.
You will need to locate the wires that got hot. If you can't or if your not sure, I suggest that you call a service company. If they ok the unit and it catches on fire after wards, their insurances will cover you unit and or home if god forbid it burns. This is to be on the safe side.
Now, this is where I would look. Your element should be on it's on circuit. There should be a disconnect within reach of the air handler. Some are fused and some are not. The wires that got hot enough for you to smell them should show signs of being hot like the plastic will be melted around the wire. You said that the heater was running. Was this the first time you have used it this year? If so, are you sure it was not the dust burning off the elements? They will smell like something burning when you first turn them on each year. Although if your sure you smelled wires getting hot, please continue looking for just that. Keep in mind that the elements have 220 volts coming to them. It comes into the unit and go to a switch or relay. From there the power goes to the elements and then to a neutral. These are the wires you will need to pay the most attention to. Good luck.

Nov 23, 2009 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Burning smell from oil heater


Pull the controls off the front,and inspect the thermostat connections to see if they are burned up,also the other switches will do the same thing.If you can`t see a problem,then the element is burned out,throw it away and buy a new one.

Sep 24, 2009 | DeLonghi 9707 Oil Filled Radiator Heater

1 Answer

Electrical smell


did you recently screw or nail something to the wall?do you have the old fabric coated wires?

Feb 26, 2009 | Honeywell Electronic Programmable...

4 Answers

Electrical burning smell in house


Mhenn, It is my guess that the 'electrical burning' smell is from your heating system. Since there is no smoke and the walls are not warm.... then there is no real problem. The smell maybe just dust has collected in the duct work that is burning off the central heating systems electrical heat strips. If you have electrical heat strips then that may be the problem. If you have a central gas heat system, it may be the same type problem. Hope this helps you. Henry

Feb 05, 2009 | Honeywell Electronic Programmable...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Heating & Cooling Logo

Related Topics:

264 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Heating & Cooling Experts

paulcarew

Level 3 Expert

2028 Answers

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8205 Answers

Cris Sparks
Cris Sparks

Level 2 Expert

338 Answers

Are you a Heating and Cooling Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...