Question about Audio Players & Recorders

2 Answers

I bought a standard audio/video (red, white, yellow) RCA cable. I also bought a wall-mounting bracket (like a light switch wall mount, if you know what I mean). I didn't realize that the backs of the 3 mounting bracket connecters would expect me to hard-wire them. The bracket has 4 numbered connecters 1 and 2 are blue and 3 and 4 are orange. I cut off the head of my red RCA plug (the Right audio) and I found two wires: a copper exterior wire, and a shielded inner wire. What do I hook to what to make my bracket work?

Posted by on

  • 1 more comment 
  • doug_tice Aug 22, 2008

    So what numbers should I plug my wires into? Does it matter as long as I put one in + and one in -?

    I'm guessing I'd go shielded wire to 1 and copper wire to 2 leaving 3 and 4 open. Could I go shielded to 3 and copper to 4 just as well? What about combinations like shielded to 1 and copper to 4?


  • doug_tice Aug 22, 2008

    This was helpful, and was almost everything I needed, but I had to post a follow-up question. I hope that gets answered, at which point then, yes, this would have been very helpful!

  • doug_tice Aug 22, 2008

    Thanks, that is exactly what I needed!

    I am setting up an audio/video "port" on my wall. Because I'm connecting my TV to my DVD by an HDMI cable, I don't even have a use for this port currently, but I'm doing some remodeling (which includes hanging a flatscreen TV on the wall), and now seemed like the appropriate time to get these wires run behind the wall in case I would need them later. I ran electricity to the wall where it is being hung, and I wanted to set a few different types of connectors on the wall also. I have a cable coaxial port on the wall, now I have the RCA (audio/video) as well, and finally I have one generic which I put on the wall to run a HDMI cable and the wiring for my Nintendo Wii. It is going to be sweet!


2 Answers

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 624 Answers

I may be misunderstanding you somewhat, but what is this "bracket" to be used for and what is it's model number or identifying information? What type of equipment are you wanting to connect with the A/V RCA cable?

I can help you with this problem if it is explained better. I can not think of any normal installation of any type of audio or video equipment where you would need to cut off the ends of the RCA cables.

Posted on Aug 22, 2008

  • Dave DeGain
    Dave DeGain Aug 22, 2008

    The information posted by "betz73" is wrong.

    The wires for the RCA cables are as follows: the outside shielding is the negative and the insulated inside copper wire is the positive. The red and white are for audio signals and the yellow is for a video signal.


  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert that has over 500 points.


    An expert who has answered 200 questions.

  • Expert
  • 298 Answers

Okay on the bracket # 1 is positive, 2 is negative, 3 is positive and 4 is negative. Now the rca cable The copper wire is negative and the shielded wire is positive. Hope is this helps. please rate. thank you.

Posted on Aug 22, 2008

  • kristopher betzler
    kristopher betzler Aug 22, 2008

    okay to make this simple, tech48 is using the exact terminology
    the outside braided wire is the "shielding"
    but the inside wire w/insulation (red-white) is pos. the outside braided (shielding) wire is neg.
    now 1-2-3-4 it's best not to mix up the numbers i.e. (1-4)( 2-3)
    just stick with (1-2 )(3-4).
    what exactly is it you are doing. dust so i'm clear on this as well.
    thanks for the rate i appreciate it.

  • kristopher betzler
    kristopher betzler Aug 22, 2008

    okay cool so you're wiring the house for theater. fun stuff. if you have and more questions click the askme button under my name.
    and i'll walk you through any thing you may need help with.
    and for "tech48" pre-wiring a room for home theater does requier RCA splicing.
    thanks again.


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How should I connect my Technics SA-AX730 receiver to my Panasonic TC-40A420U that uses HDMI?

I assume the Panasonic is a TV. I have never heard of green audio outputs. Audio outputs should be red and white (for RCA plugs). There are adapters available that convert the yellow, red and white component outputs to HDMI. You can get them at GameStop (I bought one recently to connect a game system for my daughter). If you have a TV converter box from your cable or satellite provider you might be able to connect the audio out on the cable box to your Technics receiver and run a HDMI to the TV (be sure to turn off the TV's internal speakers through the TV's menu) for video.

Oct 15, 2014 | Technics SA-AX730 Receiver

1 Answer

Manual for rca home theather rtd 3136

How old is your TV? The red, yellow, white cables will go on the back of the TV.

Mar 16, 2014 | RCA Rtd3136 5.1 Channel Home Theater...

1 Answer

I lost the manual to my craig cvd505. I am trying to set my 505 as a dvd player to watch on a old tv. It does not have video plugins. It has the older cable plugins in the back. I know I need at...

you need what's called an RF (radio frequency) modulator. it allows the standard video/audio RCA connections (yellow/red/white) to be plugged in then it routes the signals to a standard cable connection (coaxial). This cable connection carries both video and audio signal to channel 3 or 4 (selected on the modulator)._1408.jpg

Apr 06, 2011 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

With the use of rca/video cables and the Samsung composite cable, how do I connect to an audio/video receiver(surround sound)

There are alot of different options when it comes to your connection basically , it comes down to quality and what in and out jacks are available to use. To me 'composite cables" were always the red, white, yellow combo where, yellow is video and red and white are l/r sound. "Component cables" were always red blue and green. The component cable provides a higher quality picture but, does not carry sound, like composite. To gain sound using component cables, you have to add either your yellow composite or a digital optical cable, again, depending on what your system will accept. HDMI carries both audio and video at the best quality and is easy. To answer the question for what you have if you have "composite"(red, blue,green) this will provide the best picture but, you will have to use the red and white "composite" for sound.

Mar 25, 2011 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

What cable do i need to go from the tele to the amplifier as i have just bought 1 and the above cable is missing please

It depends which type of connections are available on the television you are using and what type of connection the receiver uses.

There are RCA connections (red, white for sound; yellow for video), HDMI is an all in one cable, or a hi def component connection which are blue, green, yellow, red and white.....

Hope this helps.

Mar 24, 2011 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

How do I connect to set top box, The set top box is connected to the TV via HDMI.

Your set top box should have secondary RCA outputs along with the HDMI. run another RCA standard yellow- red- white cable to the Onkyo's video 1 input. Use Monster cables for best performance..


Mar 20, 2011 | Onkyo TX-SR502 Receiver

1 Answer

I don't know how to hood up DVD player to T.V, Can you help Please?

On the back of the DVD player there are three outputs RCA jacks (yellow= Vedio) (white=Audio) (Red=Audio) It will say video out and Audio out.
On the back of the TV you will have the sane connectors on the back. Look for Video 1, there will be a yellow input and red and white audio inputs. and conect the outpit of the DVD player to the input of the TV, with RCA cables you can buy any where they sell TVs

Oct 16, 2010 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

Mhow do you connect bt vision box cd player to tv

You must use a standard AV cable - one with 3 RCA jacks:Yellow for Composite video, Red and White for audio.
Just plug them in the correct connectors - they should be close together on the back of the dvd and the tv, clearly labeled.

Aug 29, 2010 | Arcam AVR-100 Receiver

3 Answers

I can't get the video to work on the wii using the red, white & yellow cables. Will component cables fix my problem?

Your post indicates the use of a receiver. If you are in fact using a receiver, make sure you have a "video out" connection from the receiver to your television. Then make sure you have the correct input selection on the receiver, and on the TV.

Dec 28, 2009 | Yamaha RX-V463 Receiver

2 Answers

We have a cable box, rca reciever, a dvd and a non digital tv. Does the reciever need input from cable box, dvd and tv?? is red, yellow and white audio/video enough to connect or is a S-cable or optical...

From your cable box, send "optical" to the receiver. From the DVD send "coaxial digital" (looks like one rca cable" if your receiver has it, if not, optical is fine as well. There is no reason to send audio from the TV to the receiver unless you are using an "off-air antenna". If you want to have audio from the cable box to the TV for listening to TV speakers only, send an audio video cable (red/white/yellow) direct to TV. If you need more help just post a comment and I can help you some more.

Jul 07, 2009 | RCA RT2660R Receiver

Not finding what you are looking for?
Audio Players & Recorders Logo

Related Topics:

49 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Audio Players & Recorders Experts


Level 3 Expert

100243 Answers


Level 3 Expert

4706 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

71006 Answers

Are you an Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides