How to replace the glass for whirlpool oven serial # RPO 713144
This advice is for Electric Ranges equipped with glass smooth tops. If it becomes necessary to replace the cook top due to wear or damage, here's some helpful tips on how to complete the repairs yourself. NOTE: Cook tops are NOT cheap. Prices vary between models, but most are in the $200 to $300 range. With added labor charges, this repair can cost over $600 from an appliance repair company.
WARRANTIES: Most warranties DO NOT cover cosmetics. That is, if your cooktop paint starts to wear off, most manufacturers will not replace it. Warranties also DO NOT cover accidents such as dropping something on the top and breaking it. Warranties DO cover blistering, warping and heat related breakage (if you are using the recommended cookware). This is why it is important to follow all the manufacturer's use and care instructions that come with your range. I know this does not include ALL manufacturers, but this is true with most.
This is a recommended two-person repair job. Please read through the instructions carefully before starting the repairs, and follow any safety recommendations.
1. UNPLUG the range before servicing. There are dangerous voltages still present even with burners turned off.
2. If the old cook top is broken, you will need to get rid of a much of the glass shards as you can and thoroughly vacuum the area around the oven box. Use extreme care when handling broken glass. Wear safety glasses and gloves.
3. There are a few screws located under the front edge of the cook top. You will need to open the oven door to see them. Remove these screws and the top should lift up. If the range is not equipped with any kind of hinge supports, the top will have to be propped up.
4.On some ranges, there is a disconnect plug for the surface element wiring harness. If you have this feature, Follow these steps:
1. Unplug the cook top and leave the elements in place.
2. Place the whole cook top assembly face-down on a soft surface (like some old towels, or a blanket).
3. Remove the surface element assembly leaving all the elements wired together.
4. Place the new cook top face down in the same manner and lay the surface element with wiring harness directly on to it and screw in place.
5. Install the new cook top back on the range and you are DONE.
5. If the wiring harness does NOT unplug, follow these steps:
1. There are a series of screws holding the element assemblies in place. Leave these assemblies wired together for ease of replacing. It is recommended that a second person holds the assemblies in place to support the wires until all the screws have been removed.
2. Lay the intact element assembly, with wires still connected, on top of the oven box. Handle the surface elements with care. They are very fragile. Care also must be taken not to handle the element coils or ceramic material. Try to handle from the underside of the element only. Oil from your hands can cause damage to the element and/or premature failure.
3. If you have to remove the elements, individually, make sure you write down how the wires were connected to ensure you reconnect them in the right order. Make sure you also take note of the numbering scheme on the element and make sure you place the mounting brackets in the same holes that they came out of. Use care when screwing into the new cook top. CAUTION: The screw holes are usually painted and a little force may be required to thread the screws. Do not apply too much pressure on the glass, or you can damage it.
4. Prop the new cook top in place and install the surface element assembly from underneath. A helpful hint: Use some duct tape to hold the assembly until you have screwed it back into place. Don't forget to remove the duct tape when completed.
5. Lower the new cook top into place and secure with screws.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question
Jul 05, 2009 |
Whirlpool SF367 Gas Kitchen Range