Question about Cameras
I fixed this problem on my Fuji FinePix A303 (though it took some hard work).
Camera Lens Cover stuck open or stuck closed.
Power on, and get !LENS COVER error.
Lens fails to extend.
Short answer: The motor driving the lens cover is weak and eventually breaks down. I manually open the cover now. This took a manual modification to the camera (and some work).
1. Take the camera apart. See here for details, and be careful around the flash, as you'll get a nasty shock otherwise! http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~haim/focuserr.htm
2. Once you can see this, you're just about there:
3. Take off the battery cover (in the picture above).
4. Wrap a wire around the sliding pin for the lens cover, and drill 2 small holes through the black structure underneath the battery case, and then to the outside. The wire goes from the pin to the outside via the two holes. You should be able to manually open and close the camera cover COMPLETELY now with the wire.
5. Reassemble the camera (actually, you can test that it's working when it's all apart, if you're careful).
6. To operate the camera now, close the shutter first while off. Power on the camera, and very soon after open the shutter all the way by pulling on the wire (from step 4). This basically mimics the action of the little lens cover motor. If you timed it right (you have about a second margin), the lens should extend and everything functions perfectly.
It would have been nice to have been able to simply buy a new motor, but that would probably be a pain and cost some money.
Hope this helps!
Matt Van Dyken.
Posted on Jun 02, 2009
SOURCE: lens cover does not operate
This is a common fault with this Olympus camera.
Your lens has failed. Take it to a service centre and they will quote you around $US80 to replace it.
That represents around 50% of the initial cost of the camera, making it a poor investment IMO.
Posted on Apr 28, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 31, 2015 | Nikon COOLPIX S52 Digital Camera
Dec 23, 2014 | Cameras
Dec 28, 2010 | Cameras
Apr 01, 2010 | Samsung NV3 Digital Camera
Jul 13, 2009 | HP DesignJet 5500PS InkJet Printer
May 30, 2009 | Olympus FE-330 Digital Camera
Feb 16, 2009 | Toshiba PDR-3330 Digital Camera
Oct 24, 2008 | Olympus Camedia D-510 Zoom Digital Camera
Aug 23, 2007 | Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W50 Digital Camera
Nov 12, 2006 | Olympus MJU 300 Digital Camera
Jan 16, 2017 | Kodak Cameras
786 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!