Question about Dell Dimension 8300 PC Desktop
Hi-I'm not a guru but just replaced my old motherboard after the capacitors burned out. Everything is working well with the exception of my printer. I have a HP psc 2355 that worked just fine before the motherboard replacement. When I put in the disk, it says the printer is already installed but it is not in my control panel or list of installed printers. Upon installation, it also says it can't "find" the printer. I have moved it to different USB ports but it still doesn't find it. I am using a wireless mouse that uses the same USB ports just fine so don't think it's a port issue. I've put in the driver disk from the new motherboard and run the DX but it says that it's all there. Can anyone help? I've got some pictures to print! Thanks!
Hi I am back again. I wanted to see if you reformatted your computer after you installed your new motherboard. If you did not , you had better do so, because installing a new motherboard and not formatting your computer first can cause a lot of problems and cause the activation status of Windows to quickly get lost.
Did the motherboard you replace come from a brand name computer? If it did , it most likely came with its own version of Windows and it is tied to the motherboard meaning you will have to buy a new license for your new motherboard. OEM software is tied to the original BIOS it was activated on at the time and is non transferable to a new motherboard. You can plea to Microsoft all you want but they wont budge :)
Posted on Aug 17, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
1. Remove power and unplug all devices hooked to computer.
2. Open case.
3. Write down the location and orientation of all wires connecting to old motherboard.
4. Disconnect all wires from the case that are plugged into old motherboard.
5. Uncrew the screws holding the motherboard in the case.
6. Carefully remove old motherboard.
7. Install new motherboard and secure it to the case (probably using the same screws as the old MB)
8. Refer to diagram you made earlier to plug in all the wires to the proper places in the new motherboard.
9. Check and make sure the new motherboard works before closing the case.
10. If everything is working correctly, close up the case and you are done.
Nov 10, 2013 | PC Desktops
Sep 28, 2011 | Gateway GT5220 PC Desktop
Apr 26, 2011 | Sony VAIO PCV-RS310 PC Desktop
Apr 14, 2011 | Acer Aspire M5641 PC Desktop
Dec 09, 2010 | Insignia D400a PC Desktop
Mar 21, 2010 | Gateway GT4016 Desktop PC
Mar 11, 2009 | Compaq PRESARIO SR1475CL AMD Athlon 64...
Sep 02, 2008 | Dell OptiPlex GX260 PC Desktop
Jul 31, 2008 | Dell OptiPlex GX270 PC Desktop
Aug 11, 2007 | Compaq Presario 5005 (470014-507) PC...
66 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!