It is quite natural and common that we keep our driver CD that comes along with our hardware
(PC, Laptop, Printer, Camera etc.) very carefully and later forget where we kept it. That is the exact moment that we might require that.
We would need the driver CD for the following reasons
- Hardware needs to be reinstalled for troubleshooting
- Hardware needs to be installed after windows is reinstalled or upgraded
- We buy a new computer and want the old hardware to be connected to it.
How should we tackle this situation?
The best way is to get the driver from the manufacturer of the hardware. eg. Logitech camera driver from www.logitech.com
Will i be charged by the manufacturer?
No, not at all. This is available for free that can be downloaded (not in a CD though)
How do I do it?
Get the following details about your hardware
- Manufacturer of the hardware (eg. Logitech, Intel, Creative)
- Type of hardware (Camera, Motherboard, Sound card)
- Model number / Name of the hardware (Quick cam express, Extreme series - DP55KG)
Go to the manufacturer website
Click on support
Search for driver download
choose the type, and model number then choose the windows version we have and download the driver.
This is always better than the driver from the CD since the downloaded drivers are the latest.