It sounds like Tel/Fax mode is not set, but that the machine is likely in Fax Only mode. The JX200 has four modes of fax receipt - Fax/Tel, Manual, Answering Machine
, and Fax Only. The Fax/Tel mode, which you have indicated is your desire, is meant to let the fax machine automatically switch between fax and voice calls. Documents are received automatically, and the machine rings for voice calls.
Set the mode by pressing [Receive Mode/Resolution]. Every time you press [Receive Mode/Resolution], the mode changes cyclically. If you set Fax/Tel mode, you can control precisely how the fax handles incoming calls by adjusting the following settings:
• Adjust the time the fax takes to check whether a call is from a fax machine or a telephone
(<RING START TIME> setting).
• Adjust the length of time the fax rings when the call is a voice call (<TEL RING TIME> setting).
• Set whether the fax switches to receive mode after the ring time set in <TEL RING TIME> has elapsed (<DEFAULT ACTION> setting).
1. Press [Menu].
2. Use arrows to select <DATA
REGISTRATION>, then press [Start/Copy]. The LCD displays
3. Use arrows to select <RX SETTINGS>, then press [Start/Copy]. The LCD
displays <ECM RX>.
4. Use arrows to select <FAX/TEL AUTO SW>, then press [Start/Copy]. The LCD displays <RING START TIME>.
5. Press [Start/Copy]. The LCD displays <8SEC.>
6. Use the numeric buttons, or arrows to enter the time the fax waits before ringing when it receives a call, then press [Start/Copy] twice. (This is the time the machine spends checking for a fax signal before ringing for the call to be answered as a telephone call
7. Use the numeric buttons, or arrows to enter the time the fax rings while waiting for someone to pick up the Handset
, then press [Start/Copy] twice. The LCD displays <RECEIVE>.
8. Use arrows to select <RECEIVE> or <DISCONNECT>, then press [Start/Copy]. This setting tells the fax what to do if the Handset is not picked up within the specified ring time set in step 6.
9. Press [Stop].
Setting ends and the fax returns to standby mode. The machine will now handle calls as indicated in the settings you input.
If this information assists you in resolving the problem, please take a moment to rate the solution at a "FixYa" level. If you do not feel that you can rate at a "FixYa", please post back with more information regarding what has occurred subsequently and/or more details regarding the situation, and I will gladly help you until we have reached a definitive solution. Thank you for using and rating FixYa!