Question about NEC Televison & Video
This specific solution is for an RCA VCR, but give it a try for other vendors and models.
The RCA or child lock feature [tradmarked as Pro-tect Plus(TM)] is controlled absolutely via the RCA remote control unit. The setting can be very easily activated by accident without any clear indication of what you did to cause the change.
My specific model is an older RCA model VR629HF, but this issue is similar across multiple RCA models. No override method appears to be documented, if such override exists at all.
However, even new RCA remote control units seem to work well when paired with older RCA players, as I have recently replaced a worn-out RCA remote unit. If you have another vendor's product, simply try the steps below or search for "Child Lock" or "Protect" on your vendor's product support pages for your model.
(1) Enable/Activate the child lock - Point the RCA remote control at your VCR and press and hold the VCR (or VCR-AUX, or even the ON/OFF as newer models offer both options). Hold the button for 6 seconds. "SAFE" is displayed in the status display window. The VCR appears to become an excellent boat anchor at this point. It is frustratingly disabled.
(2) Disable/Deactivate the child lock - Repeat the procedure in Step 1 above. The same procedure is used toggle the feature on or off.
IF THE REMOTE DOESN'T WORK, YOU'RE TOAST! So, please read on to make sure your remote is working.
If Step #2 above fails - as in my case - the remote control unit may have gone temporarily bonkers.
(3) Make sure your remote control batteries are good!
Dead battery = no service
Weak battery = questionable service
(4) Remove the batteries from the RCA remote.
(5) Wait 30 seconds or longer. Reinstall working batteries. The remote control should (may?) reset itself to its default, factory settings. The factory settings then should work with your RCA equipment, but you may have to reset the key codes for the remote.
If this is not working see if there is a child lock setting in the main menu, if so you can unlock it there also. I will see if there are more specific instructions for your model, but there doesn't seem to be at the moments
Posted on May 26, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 15, 2013 | Zenith B19A02D 19" TV
Mar 18, 2013 | HP Pavilion dv5000t Notebook
Apr 22, 2012 | Computers & Internet
Sep 19, 2010 | NEC VT695 LCD Projector
Jul 07, 2010 | NEC NDT44 DVD Player/VCR
Oct 18, 2009 | NEC NDT44 DVD Player/VCR
Apr 17, 2009 | NEC NDT44 DVD Player/VCR
224 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: