Question about Garden

1 Answer

Hi How do you find out if the staircase in your house is classed as unsafe and do you need to have a building inspector to pass the staircase off as safe or unsafe.

Posted by on

  • tj_hutchins May 25, 2011

    Hi i was asking bcos i wasnt sure at the time if all inside staircases needed railings as the house that i rent has these horrible slippery stairs with no railings and when i moved in the old property manager noted that the stairs werent finished which even i can see that but they havent put any railing up the staircase and its been nearly 4 months and one fall down the stairs. so needed 2 know and now im thinkin that mayb they may not even be legit at all but thanks for the advice



1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 710 Answers


May I ask why you want this information? The direction you go is affected by the reason. Is it because you want to sell the house, you just bought it, or you are wanting to repair, etc.? Calling in a building inspector could mean unwanted costs should you not want to repair the staircase.

If you want to sell it and want to find out if it's safe, yes, have the municipal inspector come out. They will do it for free, I believe.

If you are buying and want to know, your best bet is to hire a home inspector.

If you want to repair because you don't think your staircase is safe, a building contractor can come and give you an estimate for repairs and you can ply him for what needs to be done while he's there if you want to do the repairs yourself.

Hope this helps. If it does, I'd appreciate a 4 thumbs up. Thanks,

Handie Andie

Posted on May 25, 2011

Testimonial: "Awesome and fast, thank you so much for your help :0) TJ"

  • 1 more comment 
  • Handie Andie
    Handie Andie May 25, 2011

    Hi TJ,

    Yes, definitely your stairs must have a railing! By federal housing codes staircases must have railings on both sides and the outside railing must have balisters that are no more than 4 inches apart, a safety for children.

    Good luck!

    Handie Andie
    Former Home Inspector

  • Handie Andie
    Handie Andie May 25, 2011

    PS: Call the building inspector in. That will get your stairs finished quickly!

  • tj_hutchins May 25, 2011

    Thank u :0)



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

Need to span a LVL beam 14ft. with only 2x6 joists to carry and no other loads on a interior wall< so I can open up a wall

Hi Dave:
Cars & trucks section so you may not get many answers.
I'm a retired Building Inspector so have a general idea of what you are talking about.
There are several variables that come into consideration.....
- Supported joist length
- Load on those joists
- You'll find the required beam size in the appropriate tables.
Your local Building Inspector should be able to assist you.

Mar 28, 2016 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Need to know the type of vapor barrier needed for a second floor unfinished ceiling with insulation and a metal roof..

It depends on your local code. Contact your building department, get a permit and ask the inspector, he will help you and if you follow is instructions you will pass the inspection.

Sep 19, 2014 | NTSupply NT-1200 Heavy Duty Vapor Barrier...

1 Answer


Apply at city hall you must have a lot of knowledge of all kids of Constuction and prove it to get that job!

Jun 10, 2014 | Cell Phones

1 Answer

I have a very long staircase in my house and I cannot afford to put art work all the way along it. Any decoration ideas?

Use a mixture of photo frames and mirrors interspersed to create an arty and homely feel to your staircase.

Feb 18, 2013 | Home

1 Answer

How to repari old doll houses

well, since its really really old and precious... i guess glue will be alright.keep the tattered in place and restore it as if its brand new

Nov 11, 2011 | Toys

1 Answer

I found a used hood with a dry chemical supression system, will it pass inspection?

You found it? ... running through the woods was it? :-)

The only place you can get an answer for this question is from your local building and/or fire inspector. Every community has its own rules concerning safety equipment, particularly in public accomodations. Before you turn a bolt, speak with the inspector. You could be fined for using it if it isn't legal in your community.

Mar 09, 2010 | Air Supply Captive Aire ND-PSP-10SS...

1 Answer

I have a category IV furnace. make up air venting??

You're beating your head against a wall! Just do what the inspector says or he can make life very hard. EVERY house needs fresh air!

Sep 26, 2009 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

I am trying to mount a plasma television, and i need to see if it is safe to run my data cables from my receiver to the television behind the wall. 1. Will it pass an inspection when I sell the house and...

You are correct in having concerns. Many articles on the web say cut two holes, run the wiring and you're done. This is incorrect, unsafe, and can void your insurance policy in case of a fire.

Many local building codes are based on the National Electrical Code (NEC).

First, the NEC does not allow flexible power cords (or extension cords) to be mounted inside of walls. This means you can't run the TV power cord inside the wall. So a new AC wall socket will have to be installed where it will be hidden by the plasma when mounted.

Second, all wiring run inside a wall must be rated by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) as Class 3, or CL-3. This means the cables between your cable box, DVD player, etc. must all be UL CL-3 rated. Fortunately, CL-3 rated HDMI, Component, Coax, and other cables are available. They are just a little harder to find and will cost a little more.

Third, make sure the wall mount you purchase can handle the weight of your plasma and is securely bolted into the wall studs.

If you follow this advice, you will pass inspection by even the most picky home inspectors and insurance companies.

Dec 05, 2008 | Pioneer PDP-4350HD 43 in. Plasma...

1 Answer

What is Class rated for the speaker wires?

NEC rating for speaker wire installation link : Interesting reading however that doesn't answer your question directly... You may have to speak with the local building/wring inspector if you are concerned about the rating. CL2 & CL3 are suitable for in wall use. If I were you, I would solicit the information from the place you purchased your wire.. they must have a direct line of communication with the supplier /manufacturer and should ba able to provide that information.

Sep 25, 2008 | Durabrand HT-3915 System

Not finding what you are looking for?
Garden Logo

Related Topics:

195 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Garden Experts

Dennis Key
Dennis Key

Level 3 Expert

2478 Answers


Level 3 Expert

571 Answers

john h

Level 3 Expert

12650 Answers

Are you a Garden Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides