Question about KitchenAid KERC507 Electric Kitchen Range
When starting self clean cycle the oven door lock repeatedly tries to engage
I had the same problem. Apparently this is a common problem. Repair guy wanted $300 to fix until he found out he couldn't order the parts. It turns out that it is just the tab on the limit switch which has worn and no longer engages the switch (so the solenoid thinks it hasn't engaged the lock and keeps trying). Try the following:
(refer to parts manual at https://www.whirlpool.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Repair%20Part%20List%20-%208187579.pdf)
1. Unplug the range
2. Remove the rear panel (see Rear Chassis drawing)
3. Locate the oven lock solenoid #6 (part #9752404) near the top
4. Move the rod assembly by hand and use a non-flammable lubricant (silcone, graphite) to lube the rod and metal parts that slide.
5. Bend the metal flange on limit switch 12 down as much as you can (rod will be in the way. This is your main problem: the flange has worn or bent and no longer rises high enough to engage the limit switch.
6. Replace panel, plug in and try it again.
If that doesn't work you may have to try disassembling the whole assembly so you can manually bend the flange down. If that still doesn't work search the internet for Whirlpool 9752404. I found a couple of sources that still had the part for sale.
Posted on Apr 20, 2012
When in the cleaning mode the door lock will engage to make sure the heat does not get out. if it will not engage make sure there is nothing blocking the lock.
Posted on Aug 15, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 17, 2011 | Ovens
Oct 17, 2009 | GE Profile Spectra JGBP90 Gas Kitchen...
Aug 07, 2009 | GE Monogram® ZET958 Electric Double...
May 10, 2009 | Dacor ECD230 Epicure Electric Double Oven
Apr 27, 2009 | Whirlpool RBD305PD Electric Double Oven
Mar 29, 2009 | Ovens
Oct 13, 2008 | Frigidaire 30" Self-Cleaning Freestanding...
Jun 02, 2008 | Frigidaire Ovens
161 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!