Question about Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Planning on replacing my Federal Pacific circuit box. It is a 24 breaker box. I just checked it to find that it is rated to handle up to 125 amps. Few days ago, an electrician checked the box and suggested a 100 amp 20/40 Siemen box. Until today, I did not catch the amp difference between my old box and what he has suggested. I have a call into him. Doesn't make sense to me to go to a lesser rated box. If anything, I would think that a replacement should be a larger amp box, ie 150 or 200 amp. Square footage of my home is around 1500 sq ft. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted by on



1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 684 Answers

You do not need to replace the main circuit breaker with less rating, it may trip during peak loads due to lesser current carrying capacity. If you are planning to replace the main circuit breaker with higher rating, you must verify first if the main feeder wire can carry the current on which the replacement circuit breaker of higher capacity may carry.

Posted on May 24, 2011


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Federal pacific breaker that has not tripped but no power in circuit.

I have run into 2 over the years that had "GLAZED" contacts. Will read voltage good but no amperage to run anything. Try replaceing it.

Dec 13, 2013 | Federal Industries Federal Pacific 20Amp...

1 Answer

Are there large amp breakers that you install to run a sub panel

yes, but your main panel has to be able to handle the sub in amps ,

Jun 26, 2011 | Pacific International Federal Pacific...

1 Answer

100 amp federal pacific stab-lok panel. It has a 70 amp main breaker, can I up-grade to 100amp? 41 year old home, copper wire, many empty slots in panel

I would recommend replacing the panel. You will pay just as much for one breaker as you would for a new panel. Please up grade ....Federal Pacific is not a safe panel to have. Breakers are know for not tripping. Please research to gain knowledge on FP...Jim

Dec 04, 2010 | Pacific Industrial 100 Amp Federal Pacific...

1 Answer

70 amp stabloc panel, using 8/3 to panel from 40 amp main breaker at 200 amp panel. white wire to white, black to black? red wire to ? thanks

Depending on what type of wire you have, 8/3 is not large enough for a 70A breaker. Is this a 240V circuit? or 120V If you are using 8/3 is it 8/3 WG that is 3 insulated conductors (red,black,white) along with bare ground? If so then you'd use the black and red for the two "hot" conductors, and the white for the "neutral" conductor. If it is just two insulated conductors, with ground (white, black and ground) then yes black to breaker and white to neutral bar. The amperage rating will vary on the wire depending on wire type. For example 8/3 is in NM? usually that rating will not be enough for 70A. In fact even #6 copper conductors in conduit is not quite large enough for 70A.

Nov 23, 2010 | Federal Industries Circuit Breaker -...

1 Answer

I have 110 voltage to all circuit breakers but no power to outlets in 2 bedrooms .

Check at the output side of the breakers with a voltmeter. Make sure that a white neutral wire didn't get hooked to a breaker. You may need to pull the outlets in the bedrooms to see if they are wired correctly. Good luck!

Sep 25, 2010 | Federal Industries 15 Amp Federal Pacific...

1 Answer

Can Federal Pacific ni breakers be used in place of nc?

I honestly wouldn't recommend using Federal Pacific in the place of anything. If you go to your local home store they may be able to help you out with a solution of what breaker to use. Federal pacific is being removed from any old construction where its found because Federal Pacific breakers are many times faulty and don't trip when they should resulting in a fire.

Apr 11, 2010 | Pacific Industrial Federal Pacific 50 Amp...

1 Answer

I am trying to distinguish whether a fuse panel in a home is 60 amo or 100 amp. It is not labeled on the main breaker?

Hi RC,

Yes, it should be the main breaker controlling all the rest collectively. It should also be written on the door of the panel by the electician that diod the install.

Best regards

Dec 19, 2009 | Federal Industries 15 Amp Federal Pacific...

1 Answer

Need Alternate for Federal Pacific Breaker

Does the panel have room for the breaker?

Federal Pacific is a brand name panel and you may be able to find breakers at Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes if those stores are in your area. Bring the panel number to the store with you.

Here's a link for additional info:

There have also been some recalls for these panel breakers. See:

Apr 26, 2009 | Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

Replaced 15amp breaker and have no power now

It sounds like you are not reinstalling the breakers properly. look carefully at the other breakers to see how they hook around the hot bus bar. When the circuit breaker is installed properly you must push relatively firmly to have the breaker be seated on the bus bar. good luck

Jan 22, 2009 | Federal Industries 15 Amp Federal Pacific...

1 Answer


the only way unless the existing wiring is long enough or can be re-routed to the new sub is to use junction boxes with covers and wire nut to connect the wires ( make sure that the wire is the same as the wire you are connecting to and install breakers to accommodate the amperage rating of the wire examples are # 12-20 amp, #14-15 amps , # 10-30 amps # 6 50 amps do not put any 220 volt and 120 volt in the same junction box and no low voltage wire in with 120 or 220 volt wires , if you will need to splice the range wire or any wire larger than #10 i would recommend replacing with new wire if this is not possible then use only connectors approved for the wire to be used .good wiring !

Dec 17, 2008 | Pacific International Federal Pacific...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Heating & Cooling Logo

Related Topics:

27 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Heating & Cooling Experts

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

3280 Answers

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8220 Answers

Tim Whalen

Level 3 Expert

3074 Answers

Are you a Heating and Cooling Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides