Question about GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven
The outlet with the red button is a GFI (ground fault interrupter) type. It may have been damaged when the microwave overheated. If so, it may trip when loaded.
You should do a full two minute heat test with a cup of water with the oven plugged into the standard type outlet that you tried second.
If it works fine, then i would suspect that the GFI outlet has failed and needs to be replaced. "When in doubt, throw it out", as they say.
The microwave does not need a GFI type outlet.
But do be sure the microwave's internal cooling fan is running properly.
When I say internal cooling fan, I do not mean the hood vent exhaust fan which you can turn on and off manually.
I'm instead talking about the internal fan which comes on automatically whenever you microwave.
It is vital that the cooling fan runs, or the magnetron will soon be destroyed.
We have a sound clip of what a microwave should sound like when the cooling fan and high voltage section are working.
If the turntable and/or inside light do not work when you cook, that's a bad sign, too.
If the microwave still fails in the standard outlet, it has a problem that needs to be addressed.
If you need further help, contact me directly or post a new detailed help request here and include your full model number from the tag on the oven.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on May 26, 2011
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 23, 2016 | Smeg Microwave Ovens
Oct 17, 2012 | KitchenAid KCMS1555RSS Stainless Steel...
If you find the fuse blown or circuit breaker tripped, unplug everything from the circuit to which the microwave is connected (keep in mind that other outlets may be fed from the same circuit). Replace the fuse or reset the circuit breaker. If the same thing happens again, you have a problem with the outlet or other wiring on the same branch circuit. If plugging in the microwave causes the fuse to blow or circuit breaker to trip immediately, there is a short circuit in the power cord or elsewhere.
The microwave oven may be powered from a GFCI outlet or downstream of one and the GFCI may have tripped. (Removing a broken oven lamp has been known to happen.) The GFCI outlet may not be in an obvious location but first check the countertop outlets. The tripped GFCI could be in the garage or almost anywhere else! Pushing the RESET button may be all that's needed.
Next, try to set the clock. With some ovens the screen will be totally blank following a power outage - there may be nothing wrong with it. Furthermore, some ovens will not allow you perform any cooking related actions until the clock is set to a valid time.
Assuming these are not your problems, a fuse has probably blown although a dead controller is a possibility.
While you can do some repairs on your microwave, what you don't know can kill you... even on an unplugged microwave, so make sure you understand the dangers and how to reduce them before you try anything inside a microwave. If you want to do more yourself, go to the link at the top of this post.
Oct 21, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Sep 23, 2010 | Maytag Microwave Ovens
Mar 15, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
May 27, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
May 27, 2009 | General Electric Microwave Oven
May 18, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
88 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!