Question about RCA LCDX2722W 27 in. Television

2 Answers

Big grey/black spot

I have a big 4" spot on my rca 27" lcd tv. It started in the upper right corner & moved to the middle of the right side now. What could cause this & anyway to fix it? The tv is a little over 1 year old & cost $1600.00!

Posted by on

  • 4 more comments 
  • bowie56 Aug 15, 2008

    No, it just started, never abused. It moved, that's what I don't get. It's just a big grey perfectly round circle, other then that the tv has a excellent picture.

  • bowie56 Aug 16, 2008

    This is the circle

  • bowie56 Aug 16, 2008

    better shot of the circle

  • bowie56 Aug 16, 2008

    Here is a better picture. The light at the top was the flash from my's the dark circle under that, this picture shows it better. Thanks for helping!

  • mjacobini Dec 05, 2008

    did aqnybody fix it i have the same problem with ym polaroid tv, but i can see the circle all the time the screen is on

  • lseal Jan 05, 2009

    I have the same problem with my 2 year old Westinghouse LVM-42W2 LCD monitor (42"). The spot is about 2" in diameter at the right edge of the screen and is growing.

    Anyone with any idea or experience with this problem?


2 Answers

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 876 Answers

Is it a fuzzy spot or an actual hard edged black spot?LCD televisions can have a loss of pixel display- most very small. Was the TV hit with something or dropped against something (the screen)?

OR Try this first:
Black box appears on the screen
• Closed-captioning might be on. Check the Analog or Digital Caption option in the Setup menu.

Please let me know if your problem is solved. Thank You.

Posted on Aug 15, 2008

  • 3 more comments 
  • Gayle Ashbach
    Gayle Ashbach Aug 16, 2008

    It is not something exterior that is shining on the TV and has your eyes fooled?

  • Gayle Ashbach
    Gayle Ashbach Aug 16, 2008

    Have you tried moving the TV to another location, just to be sure. If it still looks the same, You will need to see a seviceperson. I don't like having to tell anyone that, especially on something so new and probably just out of warranty. You didn;t by any chance purchase an extended warranty? I wish that I could help you more. I did some research and could find nothing that matches your problem. Most people who have problems lose a few pixels of the picture,and that is not round.

  • Gayle Ashbach
    Gayle Ashbach Aug 16, 2008

    How incredibly strange. I'm sorry, I wish I had a clue. I will continue to research in the morning. It looks like light shining through.

  • Gayle Ashbach
    Gayle Ashbach Aug 16, 2008

    I am going to present ideas to you as I research so that you cn try them as quickly as possible. I am reading that some televisions have a test feature that places a large circle on the screen to test color,etc. Please go back through all of your settings on your TV to make sure that it has not accidentally been put in to some sort of test mode. Continuing to research...

    Can you change the resolution on your TV? just make sure that it is not set at a higher resolution than it is capable of reproducing as a picture.

  • Gayle Ashbach
    Gayle Ashbach Aug 16, 2008

    I just found this comment on a forum site and it makes the most sense to me, so I think that if I were you I would give a serve person a call and see what they say. Here is the Comment

    "I have a tech coming to look at my set on Friday. He told me he has seen this issue a good bit with LCD TV's, not just Hitachi's, but others as well. He said that it can be caused by dirt or dust on the lamp, or in the microscopic mirrors on the lcd panel. He will attempt to clean these components when he comes, and if it does not resolve the problem, he will order a new light engine for the set and replace that. The crop circle on my set is very faint and not even noticable most of the time, unless you have a dark black background. Being I forked out a good bit of cash for this set, I'm a perfectionist with it and I want it repaired."

    At any rate, I would give a service person a call and get a professional technicians opinion on this unusual problem.

    Okay it looks like it could be a back light problem or interference from a flourescent light. At any rate, here is the ink to look at the manual and the tech sheet for your Tv as well instructions on ordering a new backlight and how to install.

    Good luck to you. I hope this helps. Have a good day.


  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 3 Answers

This problem is caused by liquid intrusion in the panel. The liquid pass thru the lower side of the LCD panel. (i.e... splash of water, your pet urinate on the panel, etc.)

Posted on Nov 03, 2010

  • gearyfam Jan 16, 2011

    I also have this problem on a Samsung 52" TV. I have had it for just over a year. I have 4 of them. One is 4 inches, one is 3 inches and 2 are 2 inches. They started at the bottom right half of the tv. About 3-4 months ago they started to move straight up. Now the 4 inch one is about 7 inches from center to the bottom. The 3 inch one is about 4 inches from the bottom and the 2 inchers are still at the bottom but can see they are starting to move up. Everyday they move up about one pixel. At this rate by the end of 2011 they should be close to the top. It will be nice that when they get to the top they continue off the screen. I never got a good answer either so I feel your pain.


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

My Vizio TV has dark spot top left corner

Hi Brandon,
I am afraid that the dark spot in the screen is not repairable. Manage as long as you can or go for a new tv.

Apr 08, 2015 | VIZIO M701d A3R 70 Inch 1080p Smart

1 Answer

My hp CPTOH-0602 was flickering and then stopped and now the screen is dark with a big black area in the top left corner

it was a screen back light failure, the lamp get busted in the upper portion of the panel display. to access this part you will need to remove the back cover using a philip screw driver. the back light is covered with metal replaced the back light, be careful in disassembling the cover not to damaged the lcd screen panel.

Nov 26, 2012 | Flat Panel Televisions

1 Answer

Big black square in middle of screen picture top to bottom about 36 " wide good audio and picture 6" on right and left side displaying.

If you have tried using different input devices, looked for loose contacts
in power outlet, RC Jack, cable and connectors, the TV might need service.

Aug 26, 2012 | Hitachi 55HDS69 55 in. Plasma Television

1 Answer

Screen has black spot in corner that spreads to entire screen

one of the floresant bulbs has fail there is a place in Haverhill Ma called Tops Electronics that can fix you up really quick but you will have to ship it to them they do good work there
their new name is pinnacle solutions group over 30 year serviceing

Sep 18, 2009 | Emerson LC320EM9 32 in. LCD HDTV

1 Answer

Big black rectangle in the middle of the TV

sounds like an advanced closed caption service is on. go to menu then audio then closed caption and turn off closed caption.

Jun 23, 2009 | iLO 3200 32 in. LCD Television

1 Answer

Zenith 60

why is there no answer for this question?

May 29, 2009 | Zenith P60W38 60 in. Plasma HDTV

2 Answers

When I turn on my tv, I get a black screen that says unusable signal. I change the channel, same thing. I try to use the DVD player or another add on and it is still black. My TV is an RCA 37in flat s

Take the back panel off and look for a smd fuse with an F on it. Middle panel in the upper left corner, it is about the size of a tip of a pen. We used a copper wire to make a jumper. Works great now!!! We also noticed that there we some loose pieces and we pushed them back in and now the buttons on the side of the TV work.

May 17, 2009 | RCA L37WD12 37 in. LCD HDTV

1 Answer

My LCD TV Has 4 large round black spots (50mm diam) on the left side of the screen. I accidentally splashes a little water on the unit the day before, but in the bottom (right) corner only. It is a Teac...

The dots cannot be rectified, static dots of this kind on an LCD panel are dead pixels or liquid cristal leaks, depending on their hape and aspect.

The only fix is by replacing the LCD panel, that is an expensive part and must be ordered by phone, as it is not normally in stock.

You can inquire by phone here to find out part price.

Mar 28, 2009 | Samsung LN52A650A LCD TV

1 Answer

RCA input suddenly changed to black and white.

Mine is doing the same thing. I have a 2 year old RCA 27" and I was told to do a "hard reset" I am trying it right now. All you have to do is unplug the power cord to the TV for 4 hours. See if that will help.

Sep 22, 2007 | Akai LCT2785TA 27 in. LCD Television

Not finding what you are looking for?
RCA LCDX2722W 27 in. Television Logo

4,696 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top RCA Flat Panel Televisions Experts

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

68427 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

4762 Answers

Dave Naylor
Dave Naylor

Level 3 Expert

834 Answers

Are you a RCA Flat Panel Television Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides