Question about Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Today when i came back from work i noticed water gushing out of my Vulcan 260 external water heater located at the back of the house from a valve at the bottom right side. I closed the mains and attached a stopper to the valve which stopped the water from flowing. please let me know what had happened and should i call a plumber or is it okay to plug the valve with a stopper.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 1,902 Answers

That pipe is there for two reasons, one is to let you know that you have an issue and that you need to get someone out there to fix it, the other is to release built up pressure in the tank itself, best bet is to go ahead and have a plumber come out and fix or replace the water heater.

Posted on May 20, 2011


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How to install a vulcan gas hot water system 260 model

This is a job for a plumber - especially where gas connection is involved.

Jul 31, 2016 | Water Water Heaters

1 Answer

To hook up gas, to an Vulcan 260 freeloader

best left to a pro . gas leaks cuase explosions when we certainly don't want one

Jan 21, 2015 | Water Water Heaters

1 Answer

I have a vulcan 260 which has water leaking from a pipe outlet at the bottom left hand front corner ( facing the heater). It has never done it before.


My guess is outlet you mention is the pressure relief valve on your water heater, which is designed to prevent the water pressure in the heater from exceeding the limits of the unit. That the relief valve is releasing a little water is not necessarily a sign that something is wrong with the heater, but if the leaking continues regularly for an indefinite period, I recommend contacting a licensed service technician.

Hope this helps.



May 03, 2011 | Water Heaters

1 Answer

My water heater runs constantly lately and i noticed water at my property line and around half my house. i can't tell where the leak is coming from. house is on slab. i am afraid to ask. the floor...

Does the hot-water line running from the heater go into / under the slab before going back into the house?

Or does the pressure relief valve drain line on the water heater go into / under the slab ?

It could be as simple as a faulty pressure relief valve on the heater (which would be the most likely of the two possibilities). When the water heats, the pressure builds in the tank, the water flows out the faulty pressure relief valve and down the drain line under the slab.

A plumber would be the person to call.


Feb 19, 2011 | Kitchen Ranges

1 Answer

Can I replace the pilot light on a Vulcan Freeloader 260 gas HWS? old is the unit? Today it is very common for gas appliances to have electric igniters instead of a pilot light. Unless you are familiar with gas controll/regulator valves I would not recommend trying this yourself. I believe it is more likely a faulty or dirty thermo-couple. Again , unless you are familiar with the opperation of gas supplies ,controls ,etc. DO NOT ATTEMP to do this yourself!!! Gas is very dangerous for the less than well informed! Call a service pro or speak to and ask for the assistance of a knowledgable friend.

Feb 14, 2011 | Water Heaters

1 Answer

I have a Rheemglas 50 gal electric water heater. It is 6 years old. It has always worked fine without any issues. I recently drained it and refilled it. I notice from time to time that water is draining...

Hello, It sounds like your T & P relief valve is leaking and needs to be replaced. Over the years, corrosion prevents the valve from sealing properly if it's been opened. It is usually threaded into the top or upper side of the water heater with a pvc pipe attached to it for drainage. If you want to replace this valve, you can buy it at any hardware or home improvement store. Turn off the cold water shutoff valve on the top of the water heater and open the lever on the T & P valve to let it drain out the water. When the water level reaches below the T & P valve, it will stop draining. Then disassemble the pvc pipe if it's threaded, or if it's glued, cut off a section or fitting and replace it with a new one when you reassemble it. Use teflon tape to seal the threads on the new T & P valve. Wrap it around the threads 3-4 times in a clockwise direction with the threads pointed at you. To remove the T & P valve, you can use a 3/4" x 6" black iron or galvanized nipple as a leverage tool to untwist the valve from the water heater. Turn the cold water back on and make sure your thread seal is holding before filling it up all the way. Good luck! Douglas

Jun 27, 2010 | Water Heaters

1 Answer

My Mum has a Vulcan freeloader 260 gas hot water system and it appears that the pilot light has gone out. The only problem is I can't find where it is to test how to turn it back on. Can someone please...

Remove the access panel lower right hand side and locate the pilot light re-igintion push button. The instructions are pritnted on the back of the access panel.

May 18, 2010 | Water Heaters

1 Answer

My Rinnai R85 heater will not heat; it is leaking water. I installed the unit 24-26 months ago, and had no problem until today. The automatic starter will engage but the flame (pilot) will not ignite. The...

I just fixed a leaky R85. Fortunately it's the bypass valve, not the heat exchanger. Did your heater freeze up in this snow storm? Unplug the power, open the cover and see where it leaks. If water comes from the top, means crack on the heat exchanger, then it would be too costly to replace. If you can see the water gushing out of a valve, on the bottom of the heater, then it's an easy fix. The valve is fixable, you don't have to replace it. But still need to find out what causes the flame fail (error 12). I suspect the igniter got wet, dry it with a towel after you take out the valve. Removing the fan first will give you more room to work inside.

Feb 09, 2010 | Rinnai Digital Remote Water Heater Control...

2 Answers

Running out of hot water with Vulcan Freeloader 300

hi i need help with mi Vulcan 300 hot water main gas pressure...
our kitchen tap got broken and we turn off our main water pressure in front off our house and now our hot water gas not working ....please help
thank you ...

Sep 24, 2009 | Water Heaters

Not finding what you are looking for?
Heating & Cooling Logo

Related Topics:

82 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Heating & Cooling Experts

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

2873 Answers

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8220 Answers

Donni Steen

Level 3 Expert

659 Answers

Are you a Heating and Cooling Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides