Many factors affect correct character selection. To isolate the problem, follow the directions below:
- Is the daisy wheel locked into the carriage correctly?
- Open the top, locate the black lever near the hammer and move it away from the platen.
- Lift out the daisy wheel. Inspect the petals to see if they may be damaged.
- Locate the small spring loaded pin near the center of the daisy wheel hub. If the pin is missing or sticking, or the daisy wheel has damaged petals, replace the daisy wheel.
- Look into the opening from where you removed the daisy wheel. Ensure that there is no debris in the area; use canned air to blow out the area.
- Reinstall the daisy wheel or install a new one if the old one is damaged.
- Remember to push the black lever towards the platen until it snaps into place.
- Close the top cover and turn on the typewriter.
- After the carriage moves to the left margin, insert paper, and open the top cover.
- Push the hammer forward until it presses the daisy wheel petal onto the paper.
- It will leave an impression on the paper; it should be a lower case "h".
- If the impression is any other letter than those above, the typewriter may require service.
- Examine the keyboard area. If there is any contamination, i.e. spills, pet hair, etc, the keyboard may need to be cleaned by a trained technician.
- If the problem is not resolved after these actions, the typewriter may require service.
Brother typewriters have a 90 day labor, 1 year parts limited warranty. For 90 days from the date of purchase, Brother International, or its Authorized Service Centers, will repair this product free of charge if defective in material or workmanship. After 90 days, and until one year from date of purchase, Brother will furnish, free of charge, a replacement part for the defective part of this product, you pay for labor.
If your machine is within Warranty, you can contact Brother Customer Support Center at (1-877-276-8437)