- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
on most microwaves this is an indication that the door safety switch (closed) has malfunctioned some how , id suggest not trying to use it as you can become harmed if your inside this machine , if its a high end machine or part of a matching set of appliances then id have it repaired , otherwise im afraid unless you've got a relative in the business , its not going to be worth repairing as costs to repair will be greater than new one , that's my expiences with them anyways
THE DOOR HAS A SAFETY SWITCH THAT SHUTS THE UNIT OFF WHEN THE DOOR IS OPENED KEEPING YOU FROM GETTING "ZAPPED WITH RADIATION" ACTUALLY ITS JUST RADIO WAVES, ANYWAY THE JIGGLING OF THE HANDLE TO START IT IS WHATS HAPPENING THERE. IT COMING ON IS JUST A SHORT IN THE SWITCH THAT MAY BE FROM AN ALREADY SET TIME, OR ITS JUST MAKING CONTACT WHERE ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO. ANYWAY YOU NEED A NEW DOOR SWITCH.
It is likely something in the magnetron circuit has failed. This could be the fuse, capacitor, or magnetron itself.
Another possible is the safety interlock on the door latch.
First up do not go poking inside this circuit yourself unless you know certainly how to discharge the capacitor properly. It will hold a lethal voltage even when the oven is unplugged, for an unknown length of time.
That said, you may find the cost of repair by a tech is not economical anyway, with a minimum labour charge of say $100. You might be better off buying a new one, and having the warranty on it.
Open it an check the thermal cutouts for an open circuit and for burned wires if you don't find any just replace the fuse. The usual cause is the magnetron and an aging capacitor. I save every microwave people throw out to get the magnetrons... i always seem to have the correct size, bolt pattern, fin pattern etc to repair a microwave fast. With the glut of brand new microwaves for $40 or so at Walmart or other places no-one seems to want my repaired microwaves but i love fixing them anyway.
Well if it has been Zapped then usually it is only? the Power supply side of things, the Bridge Rectifier, Controller etc, especially if it wasn't actually "heating" at the time. But also it may have fried the Computer Chip, in the "Brain" of the microwave. These days though, it often costs more to repair than replace, and anyway I always say, if you fix it you still have a fixed thing that may have further problems, as things go. If it's new at least you can take it back.
pop the plastic off inside door you will see 2 screws that hold handle on or if your trying to get the door hinges off unscrew bottom panel to access bottom hinge screw and vent at top to access screws for top hinge