Question about Whirlpool GR478LXPS Electric Kitchen Range
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
HOW MICROWAVES WORK Microwave ovens are complex and sophisticated, but they operate on a very simple premise. They warm foods and liquids using microwave-frequency sound, rather than a gas burner or an electric heating element. How microwave energy is produced Why some foods cook better than others Safe, quick, and inexpensive How microwave energy is produced Your microwave oven has a small transmitting antenna, much like a radio station or TV station might use. The microwave oven converts the electricity from the house into an extremely high voltage, which feeds the "magnetron, " which converts the high voltage into radio waves. The radio waves funnel into the cooking area of the oven, which makes the molecules in the food or liquid resonate (vibrate) wildly?which causes friction between the vibrating molecules?which generates the heat for cooking. Why some foods cook better than others Whether a food type is suitable for cooking in a microwave oven has a lot to do with the structure of the food--or the lack of it: Consider bread. It has an internal structure of air pockets. When the microwave gets all of the molecules in the structure vibrating at microwave frequency, the structures break down and the bread becomes tough and inedible if cooked too long. Now consider water. It has no structure. When the microwave frequency gets the water molecules vibrating, they rub against each other creating friction--then heat. Because they have no fragile structures to break down, foods with high water content tend to heat nicely in the microwave--including vegetables, soups, and so on. Safe, quick, and inexpensive Because microwave ovens use radio waves, rather than radiant heat, to heat food, they are considered to be quite safe. Also, they don't introduce anything unnatural into the food, and they are more energy efficient than standard resistance cooking devices. Q - My microwave seems to shut off every once in a while, what might be wrong? A - Make sure you hear the fan is still operating in your microwave. Next is to make sure the air intake grill on your microwave is not plugged up with air borne dust and dirt. Use an old tooth brush to help clean off the grille area. Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food? A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section. Q - My microwave is running and sounds like it is working but will not heat up anything. A - Many thing can do this but, common things are....loose high voltage wire.....poor solder joint on board.....magnetron.....power relay..... Q - The microwave display counts down and the inside light is on, but nothing is heating and the fan is not running. A - This most commonly is a bad door switch, other possible problems are a faulty relay or solder joint on the power module, but a bad door switch is most common. Q - My microwave went dead when I opened the door ( same problem as closed the door ). A - This often is a stuck or faulty door switch and it has blown the interior microwave fuse. Q - My microwave is completely dead. A - House fuse has blown or interior fuse inside the microwave has blown ( usually a part inside the microwave makes this fuse blow ) Sometimes a bad fuse holder inside the microwave cannot hold the fuse tight enough and the fuse will blow as well. Q - The fan in my microwave oven is not running will this hurt my microwave? A - YES, the fan cools the magnetron and electronics, take the microwave in for service, most fans are not too expensive to replace. Q - My microwave blows the fuse inside itself as soon as I push the start button. A - Usually a shorted high voltage capacitor...see components section. A copy and tip from Prashanth: Description of problem (Maytag CMV1100Q) : Microwave stopped working while cooking. Replaced a 20AMP fuse. When the cook cycle starts, microwave makes a groaning noise and stops. It loses power since the fuse is blown. Solution: High-voltage capacitor shorted. Replaced it and microwave works fine. Its located behind the fan underneath the high-voltage transformer. Remove the vent fan hood Remove the display control panel by removing the screw Take pictures of all the connections behind the control panel. Unhook all connections Remove the connections to fan Remove the fan Remove the screws and connections for interlocking switches. Make sure the high voltage capacitor is discharged! Remove the high voltage capacitor and replace Retrace the steps and put everything back. Microwave works great now. Q - I burnt something in my microwave and now it is dead...help! A - The fuse inside the microwave may have blown, but more commonly the flame/oven thermostat has sensed the over cooked food and the flame/oven/cavity thermostat has opened up - Info on that click on the link below for which u have the doubt http://www.applianceaid.com/micro.html
Posted on Sep 22, 2008
SOURCE: whirlpool sotve
Alot of times this is a sign that the voltage to the range is only half of what it should be. You may have a breaker kicked, or a bad fuse in your fuse box. When the range is only getting 110 volts instead of 220 volts, the oven will slowly heat but nothing else will work. check your breakers and I bet you will have the problem solved. Have a nice night and I hope this will FixYa. Please don't forget to rate me.
Posted on Sep 30, 2008
Welcome to Fixya
You said, have a Whirlpool electric range (model rf363pxpt0) with standalone burners - the burner power indicator light stays lit whether the heat control knob is on or off, there is no heat coming from the burner on or off. You pulled the burner from the receptacle and one of the tabs broke off and stayed in the receptacle. You removed the tab and made sure no pieces remained in the receptacle then bought a replacement burner, no change. You put the replacement burner in the back burner of the same size and had heat within 10 seconds. You changed out the burner with the one that had been in the back of the range, no heat. As long as the breaker to the range is on the power light stays lit but no power to that one burner only.
What is the model number and the age of your range?
Waiting for your reply.
Posted on Oct 03, 2008
The problem could likely be in the sockets that the elements plug in to. Over time, they lose tension and deteriorate. The replacement sockets are relatively cheap and easy to replace. If the connection ends of the elements are still in good shape, there is really no reason to replace the element.
Posted on Oct 19, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 23, 2012 | Kitchen Ranges
Sep 15, 2012 | Maytag Stove / Oven / Range Cooktop -...
Sep 13, 2011 | Whirlpool RF302 Electric Kitchen Range
May 24, 2011 | Kenmore Kitchen Ranges
Jun 18, 2017 | Whirlpool RF111PXS Electric Range
Mar 31, 2009 | GE Profile JS968 Electric Kitchen Range
Jul 09, 2008 | Kitchen Ranges
Nov 15, 2009 | Whirlpool GR478LXPS Electric Kitchen Range
80 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: