This morning when I booted my desktop, I heard a loud pop and my cpu shut down. I reset what appeared to be a circuit breaker on the back of my case and tried to boot again. Fans run but it won't boot. Any ideas?
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Overheating When the CPU overheats then it will shut down (i.e. thermal overload) and won't boot up again until it has cooled down. If this is the problem is not fixed then the CPU will eventually fail. A faulty fan causes the problem or the fan and heat sink assembly are clogged with dust. Check the CPU fan to see if it spins freely, if not replace the fan. If the fan and heat sink is clogged with dust the remove the dust and make sure the vents are clear and dust free. Use a small brush and can of compressed air to do this.
A loud CPU fan will also equate with overheating and imminent failure. Can you reliably access your system BIOS? Can you run a memory test there? If so your CPU is functional (and your memory which is also subject to overheating and BSOD under XP. If those are good your prime suspect is your HDD. If you can afford it, now would be a good time to replace your system.
It appears you have a faulty CPU fan and it is causing the CPU to overheat and shut down. I suggest you replace the CPU fan. remove any dust from the heatsink and put new heatsink compound on the CPU/heatsink.
OverheatingWhen the CPU overheats then it will shut down (i.e. thermaloverload) and won't boot up again until it has cooled down. If this is theproblem is not fixed then the CPU will eventually fail. A faulty fan causes the problem or the fan and heat sink assembly are cloggedwith dust. Check the CPU fan to see if it spins freely, if not replace the fan. If the fan and heat sink is clogged with dust the remove the dust and make surethe vents are clear and dust free. Use a small brush and can of compressed airto do this.
Shuts down when? Right after you boot it up? Or does it run a while then shut down? If it shuts down after it has run for a while then the computer is probably running hot. Either the CPU Fan is not working or the Thermal Paste has dried up or is too thin to keep the CPU Cool. To prove it is running hot, let the computer sit for a while then boot it up. Once it boots up use it until it shuts down and immediately try to boot it up. If it does not boot up that means it's running hot. But if you let it cool off then try booting up you will be successful.
Sounds like you are overheating. One way to tell if it's overheating is you say it will run for about 30 minutes then shuts down. When it shuts down try rebooting to see if the boots successfully. If it fails to boot successfully right after it shut down then you are probably overheating. If you wait awhile to let it cool down for 30 minutes or so and if you reboot and it does it successfully you definitely have a overheating problem. If I remember correctly all those compaq sr series have loud and fast running fans. Computers overheat because of three reasons for the most part: 1) A fan has stopped working. 2) The Thermal Paste on the CPU and Heat Sink has dried up or is not thick enough to keep the unit cool. 3) Dust has clogged the fan vents and inside the computer. Fortunately for you desktops don't have to be completely disassembled like laptops to get to the fan, CPU and heatsink. Just pop the case and you'll see the components attached to the motherboard
Generally, fans are controlled by heat readings...something to check is the operating temperature that is shown in your BIOS when you boot up...(access your BIOS by tapping on the delete key, or F2 key while booting)..if it goes over 70C real quick then there is a CPU heat dissipation problem, which would cause the fan to run like this i think that it is more of an issue that your CPU died...has your machine taken any kind of hit or fall that might have loosened things?...or perhaps the heat sink compound between the heatsink and CPU failed..... but it also could be a dead MB